Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Live: London Boat: St Vaast
    Posts
    24

    Default La Rochelle advice needed.

    I am looking at relocating my boat to La Rochelle next year which is currently in St Vaast.

    It may not make any difference but the registration form asks for preferences on which basin; Bout Blanc, Marillac, Lazarette or Tamaris and I wondered if anyone could give any advice on which is preferable?

    As a note my wife isn’t particularly mobile so closer to facilities and town etc.

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Eastern Atlantic seaboard
    Posts
    3,205

    Default Re: La Rochelle advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyP View Post
    I am looking at relocating my boat to La Rochelle next year which is currently in St Vaast.

    It may not make any difference but the registration form asks for preferences on which basin; Bout Blanc, Marillac, Lazarette or Tamaris and I wondered if anyone could give any advice on which is preferable?

    As a note my wife isn’t particularly mobile so closer to facilities and town etc.

    Many thanks
    Not familiar with the names but the unlocked basin is closest to the town centre and therefore noisiest. The basin ENE of Tour Nicolas would be my choice: handy for town and Capitainerie. We stayed there for a night a couple of weeks ago and the Capitain speaks excellent English and is very helpful. There are access restrictions withe the gate opening HW-2 to HW+0.5 so how you plan to use the boat might have an affect. You can use a pontoon in the main basin or at Minimes to wait if you arrive early.
    Don't consider Minimes as a permanent berth, it is miles from anywhere.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 18-09-19 at 20:02.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Boat (now back in) the Clyde
    Posts
    5,652

    Default Re: La Rochelle advice needed.

    The basins you refer to are all part of the very large marine Port des Minimes - more details on their site. https://www.portlarochelle.com/en/ba...s-la-rochelle/

    The older harbours closer to the town centre are the Vieux Port and Port Neuf, but not sure if you are likely to be able to secure a berth in them. Vieux Port has some depth challenges, and is presumably in high demand for its location. I think parts of Port Neuf give precedence to classic yachts.

    Not sure how much your wife’s mobility will restrict things, but like many tidal marinas some of the access ramps in Port des Minimes can be very steep at low tide. And as a huge marina, some berths are a long walk from the shore facilities.
    However, other berths are much closer to shore. Depends hugely on boat size, type and berth availability.
    La Rochelle is a lovely area to visit so I would recommend going there in person to look at the options and discuss specific berth availability directly with the harbour office staff, explaining any mobility constraints.

    PS The 4 basins are labelled on this plan https://www.portlarochelle.com/le-plan-des-bassins/
    Worth also looking at satellite images on Google Maps to see length of some access ramps.
    Last edited by dunedin; 18-09-19 at 20:57.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,550

    Default Re: La Rochelle advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyP View Post
    As a note my wife isn’t particularly mobile so closer to facilities and town etc.

    Many thanks
    Good advice so far. If your wife has a disability badge/recognised condition/doctor’s note, you may find the respective HMs will go the extra mile to help.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Eastern Atlantic seaboard
    Posts
    3,205

    Default Re: La Rochelle advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    The basins you refer to are all part of the very large marine Port des Minimes - more details on their site. https://www.portlarochelle.com/en/ba...s-la-rochelle/

    The older harbours closer to the town centre are the Vieux Port and Port Neuf, but not sure if you are likely to be able to secure a berth in them. Vieux Port has some depth challenges, and is presumably in high demand for its location. I think parts of Port Neuf give precedence to classic yachts.

    Not sure how much your wife’s mobility will restrict things, but like many tidal marinas some of the access ramps in Port des Minimes can be very steep at low tide. And as a huge marina, some berths are a long walk from the shore facilities.
    However, other berths are much closer to shore. Depends hugely on boat size, type and berth availability.
    La Rochelle is a lovely area to visit so I would recommend going there in person to look at the options and discuss specific berth availability directly with the harbour office staff, explaining any mobility constraints.

    PS The 4 basins are labelled on this plan https://www.portlarochelle.com/le-plan-des-bassins/
    Worth also looking at satellite images on Google Maps to see length of some access ramps.
    I'm pretty sure Minimes refers only to the modern marina close to the river entrance. Hence, you call either vieux port or port du Minimes on 09 when requesting a berth, as described in Reeds.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 19-09-19 at 21:28.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.W. France
    Posts
    7,706

    Default Re: La Rochelle advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    I'm pretty sure Minimes refers only to the modern marina close to the river entrance. Hence, you call either vieux port or port du Minimes on 09 when requesting a berth, as described in Reeds.
    Yes, I visit it fairly often, usually the big new section at the top right. The red parking is accessed with a key fob thingy that controls the post that blocks the entrance. A forumite spent a few months in the Bassine de Chalutiers in front of the aquarium, but it can get a bit noisey there in the season.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: La Rochelle advice needed.

    You want to be in Bout Blanc or Tamaris. They are on the left/right respectively as you drive on to the Digue de Bout Blanc (which is a giant car park). Why there? a) Nearest to town/bus/rail, b) Tamaris is the newest part of Les Minimes marina, so facilities are new, c) loads of parking (not true for other the 2 basins), d) some boats have to clear out of Lazarette for the boat show (Le Grand Pavois) every September. Lazarette is a long hike from town, but there is a water bus from Lazarette into the centre of town. My boat has been kept in Bout Blanc since 2015. The area nearby is a wonderful sailing area, but it can get v.windy. My 4 winters afloat there have all been ok. I have found the marina to be a really pleasant place, and if you need any work done then La Rochelle is definitely the place to be. Aurélie in the marina office is particularly helpful. Please ask if you need any more information. My boat (Waterlily) is on pontoon 22, berth 64. Call by sometime for a chat. Keith

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Live: London Boat: St Vaast
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: La Rochelle advice needed.

    Hi all

    Many thanks for the replies which are very much appreciated.

    I spoke to a couple of people on stands at the boat show today and they estimate a waiting list of approx. 18 months although there are winter berths available.

    I am still planning, but may explore the area next spring/summer and take a winter berth next year.

    I am trying to get some time to drive down over the next few weeks and will certainly pop by Keith.

    Thanks again

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: La Rochelle advice needed.

    When you are offered a permanent place in Les Minimes, you can turn down one offer, but no more. If you turn down a second offer then you have to start again at the bottom of the waiting list, which is sort of fair enough. I turned down one offer of a place because it was at a very inaccessible location in Lazarette, then I accepted the next offer in Bout Blanc; no regrets at being in Les Minimes, it's a great place to be. Note that you don't get long to accept (or reject) their offer, but again that is sort of fair enough. I look forward to seeing you in Les Minimes. Keith

    PS Look very closely at exactly where any offer is located, I was offered a berth which was much too small for my boat. A cock-up on their behalf. Turning down such a mistake does not count as an offer rejection.

    PPS While you are waiting for an offer of a permanent berth, there is nothing to prevent you remaining on a visitors berth while you wait. Though visitor rates are more expensive. Except for September (when there is a boat show in the marina), Les Minimes is so huge that there are always visitors berths available.
    Last edited by WalshamUK; 21-09-19 at 20:03.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to