Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Volvo MD 22 fuel consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_S View Post
    Are you sure about that!

sorry 10 hp

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Hi can I ask what boat and prop you have ?
    We have a Brunton three blade auto prop and at 1800 rpm unless running in big seas we can easy get well over 6 kts
    Hi Vic,

My boat is a HR39. I have a 3 bladed Variprop. The figures I have given are based on more than 1000 hours motoring under all conditions. In flat water with no wind, I achieve 6 knots at 2000 rpm, but the opp asked for 'real conditions', and most of the motoring I do is motorsailing to windward in less than favourable conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshythe View Post
    Hi Vic,

My boat is a HR39. I have a 3 bladed Variprop. The figures I have given are based on more than 1000 hours motoring under all conditions. In flat water with no wind, I achieve 6 knots at 2000 rpm, but the opp asked for 'real conditions', and most of the motoring I do is motorsailing to windward in less than favourable conditions.
    Hi thank s for that info , funny how there so much different , our Moody 42 I guess is heavy then the HR !
    plus being a full time cruiser we well over loaded with ever thing under the sun included rolls or canvas and window plastic .
    since having the boat three years now I keep a close eye on fuel and lucky for us we can fill to the top of the filler ,
    Our gen we estimate use 1 lph last time we filled was In The south of France I estimated 104 litres we took on 109 litres
    We very rearly need to push over 1800RPM , honestly if there another wind to move us 2 kts we like to sail unless we really got to get some where .
    We do dive ever week and clean any thing that may be on the hull .
    Almost the same prop too .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshythe View Post
    Hi Vic,

Not really relevant to the OPs question, is it

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Not really relevant to the OPs question, is it
    My fauit I asked the question and drift off thread a bit , but I was interested why there was so much different in LPH

I have an MD22L in a Bavaria 40 Ocean, reckon I use about 2L/hour, typically run at 1800-2000 RPM, 3 blade prop averaged over half a season. Not a very accurate figure as my hours meter doesn't work (or at least is invisible) and I have used some fuel for heating and charging, so could be a bit less.

Steve.

That engine uses about 3l/hr at 2k rpm.

You do know however, that this engine should be run harder than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Any out there got a figure for fuel consumption of this engine. Ideally real life, not brochure. Normally run about 2000rpm

Thanks
    On the trip down from Holyhead to the Algarve 6 yrs ago I did an average calc and mine in a Bene 381 does 1.8 ltrs an hr. Runs between 1800 and 2100 rpm when motorsailing to average 6kts

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    That engine uses about 3l/hr at 2k rpm.

You do know however, that this engine should be run harder than that.
    Harder then 2000 rpm ?
    How harder? ,
    cose any hight rpm wouldn't increase speed on mine , 2000 rpm give me 7.5 kts in the right condition, so why would I want to thrush it harder just to waste fuel?
    My exhaust elbow come off every year and there no build up of carbon.
    What important is you don't run these engines at the same RPM for long periods,
    Also I sorry but I disagree, I don't think you can be any more accurate when checking fluids then topping all the way up then after X retopping up . Which is what I do .
    I think the fuel consumption depend on the hull , how clear it is, shape,and the prop.
    A dirty hull will be slowly and use more fuel .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 19-09-19 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Harder then 2000 rpm ?
    How harder? ,
    cose any hight rpm wouldn't increase speed on mine , 2000 rpm give me 7.5 kts in the right condition, so why would I want to thrush it harder just to waste fuel?
    My exhaust elbow come off every year and there no build up of carbon.
    What important is you don't run these engines at the same RPM for long periods,
    Also I sorry but I disagree, I don't think you can be any more accurate when checking fluids then topping all the way up then after X retopping up . Which is what I do .
    I think the fuel consumption depend on the hull , how clear it is, shape,and the prop.
    A dirty hull will be slowly and use more fuel .
    It is a car engine which revs to 4300rpm.

Recommended cruising revs is 3,000 - 3,300, although that's a bit much, but at least 2,500.

Run it at 2,000rpm and it's not getting up to full working temperature.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast