Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Volvo MD 22 fuel consumption

Just looked at the VP datasheet, and recommended operating speed is 2600-3000rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    It is a car engine which revs to 4300rpm.

Recommended cruising revs is 3,000 - 3,300, although that's a bit much, but at least 2,500.

Run it at 2,000rpm and it's not getting up to full working temperature.
    Thanks for that but I can assure you mine up to full running temperature,
    I can only speak for myself here and no one else if I run mine at them speed I probably blow some thing especially in the heat of the Med .
    I can see why people are saying 3 LPH if they running at them REV .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 19-09-19 at 20:22.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

It might be based on a car engine but our Perkins M50 won't do more than about 2600 out of gear. It's a marine engine that's very conservatively rated. I'm happy about that as, hopefully, it will go on for ever!

As for not getting up to working temperature at 2000 revs, that's just ridiculous. We came through the French canals and hardly ever exceeded 1100 rpm because of the speed limit. The engine temp was just fine.

Cruising speed
    Operating the engine at wide open throttle (WOT) should be avoided since it is both uneconomical and uncomfortable. Volvo Penta recommends a cruising speed in the range 300 - 500 rpm lower than maximum rpm at WOT. Depending on hull type, choice of propeller, load and conditions etc. the maximum engine speed at top speed can vary, but it should be within the WOT range......

There recommendion are set to work with there three fixed blade propeller or their two blade folded ,
    once you start changing stuff the recommendations goes out of the window ,
    Then you have to take all the other stuff in consideration, and again it just a recommendation.
    By the way the MD 22 isn't a Volvo engine .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolie View Post
    It might be based on a car engine but our Perkins M50 won't do more than about 2600 out of gear. It's a marine engine that's very conservatively rated. I'm happy about that as, hopefully, it will go on for ever!
    If it only revs to 2600 out of gear, there is something wrong with your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Cruising speed
    Operating the engine at wide open throttle (WOT) should be avoided since it is both uneconomical and uncomfortable. Volvo Penta recommends a cruising speed in the range 300 - 500 rpm lower than maximum rpm at WOT. Depending on hull type, choice of propeller, load and conditions etc. the maximum engine speed at top speed can vary, but it should be within the WOT range......

There recommendion are set to work with there three fixed blade propeller or their two blade folded ,
    once you start changing stuff the recommendations goes out of the window ,
    Then you have to take all the other stuff in consideration, and again it just a recommendation.
    By the way the MD 22 isn't a Volvo engine .
    You should cruise a diesel at about 2/3 to 3/4 of it's rated rpm. Diesels need to run hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    You should cruise a diesel at about 2/3 to 3/4 of it's rated rpm. Diesels need to run hot.
    Bob, not wishing to get in to a pissin contest but a diesel engine can be flat out at less than rated full revs. Put a heavy load on it by over propping a bit for example can in theory make the governor open the rack fully to keep the revs at the throttle indicated range.
    My prop is a 16 by 16 three bladed one, allegedly not standard Beneteau, allegedly over size. It gives me 6 -7 kts at 2100 rpm. If I go to full throttle it will rev to about 3200 BUT the speed doesnt go much better, the stern squats and serious black smoke is emitted. So my engine is loaded at 2100, up to temperature and yet is economical

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Bob, not wishing to get in to a pissin contest but a diesel engine can be flat out at less than rated full revs. Put a heavy load on it by over propping a bit for example can in theory make the governor open the rack fully to keep the revs at the throttle indicated range.
    My prop is a 16 by 16 three bladed one, allegedly not standard Beneteau, allegedly over size. It gives me 6 -7 kts at 2100 rpm. If I go to full throttle it will rev to about 3200 BUT the speed doesnt go much better, the stern squats and serious black smoke is emitted. So my engine is loaded at 2100, up to temperature and yet is economical
    For sure you can always over-prop an engine, but that's as bad as under-driving it. You just end up with a badly coked-up engine and injectors and an over-stressed gearbox.

Frankly I don't care what you all do with your engines, I was simply answering the question about fuel consumption, which when run at the proper cruising revs of about 2600, should be about 3l/hr, and pointing out that that particular engine should be run at more than 2000rpm as it is a low-compression, high-revving car engine. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    normal rule of thumb, 1 ltr per hr per hp used
    been awhile but we fitted a md22l in our then W33 ketch3 bladed fixed prop ran at 2000rpm for 6 kts and consistant 0.53 gph (UK gallons) which fig we used to calculate fuel remaining
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast