Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Volvo MD 22 fuel consumption

MD22L-B (50 HP - not to be confused with the 59 HP MD22P!) in a Bavaria 40 Ocean (~12t total weight with all our cruising kit) with Saildrive 120S-E and 3-bladed Volvo fixed prop (17x15).

We mostly cruise at 1800 rpm giving 6.5 knots and using a bit under 3L/h (probably less, but don't have a better figure). With more throttle the engine easily gets us to our hull speed of 8.0 knots, but that would be wasteful.

As this is a bit low rpm for that engine, we throttle it up to full every once in a while (say once per hour or so, although we miss some) at which point some (grey) smoke (not steam) comes out, burning off whatever deposits it built and after 10-30 seconds (depending on how long since the last time) it stops smoking and does not smoke again until ran at lower rpm for a while, clearly indicating something is being deposited at low rpm and burnt off at higher. Might be carbon deposits in the cylinders or on the piston heads or might be something in the exhaust, don't really know.

We've also ran it at full throttle for about 6 hours once fighting our way upwind in a Gale and doing a mere 3-4 knots at that, from bashing upwind in big waves and having to turn the boat to cut over the wave at every single one.

How do you all measure your fuel consumptions, bearing in mind that roughly half the diesel drawn from a tank returns to it?

This seems pretty good:
    Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Our 42 foot MD 22P 1800rpm 2lph 2000 rpm 2.5 LPH
    I keep a very close eye on this , my filler is in the cockpit floor , so I tend to fill to the top of the filler then next time do the same and compare with engine hours .
    Last edited by A1Sailor; 21-09-19 at 11:45.
    A1

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    It is a car engine which revs to 4300rpm.

Recommended cruising revs is 3,000 - 3,300, although that's a bit much, but at least 2,500.

Run it at 2,000rpm and it's not getting up to full working temperature.
    That's cobblers.
    My car engine runs to 4500rpm.
    It spends a lot of its time cruising at 1500 to 1800rpm.
    So far 170k miles and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    How do you all measure your fuel consumptions, bearing in mind that roughly half the diesel drawn from a tank returns to it?

This seems pretty good:

Record what goes in when you buy fuel?

This seems pretty good:

In my case it's petty accurate I would say , my filler is in the cockpit floor , I record engine hours and gen hours , each time I fill with fuel and top right up to about a few ins from the top of the filler .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

In my case it's petty accurate I would say , my filler is in the cockpit floor , I record engine hours and gen hours , each time I fill with fuel and top right up to about a few ins from the top of the filler .
    I was nearly caught out a number of years ago when running my engine from an emergency can of diesel as a "get you home" measure with a blocked tank output pipe.
    20litres seemed like lots for ~20miles with my BetaMarine ~33hp/Moody336 - but the can seemed awfully light about halfway home.

I realised some fuel was "returning" to the tank - as I was putting the sails up!
    A1

I was nearly caught out a number of years ago when running my engine from an emergency can of diesel as a "get you home" measure with a blocked tank output pipe.
    20litres seemed like lots for ~20miles with my BetaMarine ~33hp/Moody336 - but the can seemed awfully light about halfway home.

I realised some fuel was "returning" to the tank - as I was putting the sails up!
    I had a 336 quite a lot of years ago Lovely sailing boat .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

I had a 336 quite a lot of years ago Lovely sailing boat .

Last edited by A1Sailor; 21-09-19 at 14:21.
    A1

At 2k revs work on 3 lit per hour.

I would estimate consumption to rise 50% if revs are hefted to 2.5k

PWG

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234