Thread: Antifouling

Default Antifouling

Today (Wednesday 18th) at the boat show we came across Generation graphic, the wrap boats for antifoul and state it will last around 5-7 years . Once over six knots the stuff falls of due to the silicon in the wrap. Anyone tried this? Heard of this? Seen any reports etc. They quoted circa £6 k for a 15m .
    Thoughts

Default Re: Antifouling

I came across it a few years back at a boat show. They wrapped a 20 ft boat in a few minutes, quite impressive as were the claims. As far as I know it died a death. Until now
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I came across it a few years back at a boat show. They wrapped a 20 ft boat in a few minutes, quite impressive as were the claims. As far as I know it died a death. Until now
    I understand that but has technology improved since then?
    they have done a axopar some five months ago and theres very little sign of any growth, it was moored next to the azimuth display.
    they state its guaranteed unto 50mph just wondering if its worth the out lay,?

[QUOTE=Ratkins;691448 just wondering if its worth the out lay,?[/QUOTE]

It never stacks up from a £ to £ comparison.
    Just do the maths , lift out block off 3 days , paint it (AF of budget brand ) lift in .
    X 5/7 years = more or less the same cost . I,am running a 15 M boat btw ,
    Same as copper coat maths .
    But you still need lift outs for anodes and general check , perhaps the odd seacock or what ever replacing .
    So you can’t get rid of lift outs in the 5/7 periods .
    All you “ save “ is the perceived by some of actually a couple days of graft and sure a bit of mess .
    Also with the trad AF it’s possible to chop n change every season .#
    With that stuff you are putting all your eggs in one basket and hoping it gonna work on two levels .
    1- stay on - not peel off early
    2- actually resist satisfactory marine growth for 5/7 years .

Then there’s stern gear health or worse still outdrive / IPS , the latter need a few days on the hard for maintenance anyhow .

I can’t see it’s “ worth it “
    Where’s the saving £ wise ?

# one season I bought in August some 1/2 price stuff on offer for the following May ...... it worked fine .
    Last edited by Portofino; 19-09-19 at 17:22.

Completely understand your point of view thatís why I posted the question to see the response from seasoned sailors. However would be nice for a proper review/report from the magazines

Similar principle to Hempel Silic One which is a paint.

I will save on lift and blocking off over a period of 3/4 years as I just need a lift and hold to change leg and engine oil on outboard. £80 Vs £180.

I'll be reporting on progress and performance when I pull boat out in March next year..