Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

You have pulled 4 threads on the recent Cannes topic. Please can you give some guidance on where you are drawing the line? In this evening's threads (now pulled) I positively agreed that you were right to pull threads 1+2 yesterday - no problem with that. I'm more asking mainly about your pulling this evening's threads 3+4. Was it because of the French law aspect?

Where poster A (me, in this instance) says 2 things being (1) that poster B wrote that he (poster B) did something (what he wrote is indisputable fact - you have the record and I have it screenshotted), and (2) an observation about French law (also not subject to any debate), has A crossed the line such that you will remove it?

Genuine question, because reporting something non private that happened in public, and what the law says, must amount to free speech and is not libel in any civilised legal system. I realise it is inconvenient for one party, but that cannot override free speech/reportage. Let me be candid about what I'm thinking: are you giving a poster special treatment/doing him a favour because he used to work on ybw team?
    Last edited by jfm; 18-09-19 at 23:26.

Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Let me be candid about what I'm thinking: are you giving a poster special treatment/doing him a favour because he used to work on ybw team?
    That was my take this morning when I noticed the posts had been deleted with no reasoning. Quick phone call and all that!

Mr B posted his comment above 20 minutes ago and he is now on shore leave, with no other comments posted since this one - is this the reason why he is on shore leave? It seems to me to be very polite, same as his other posts..... what has he done wrong?

TBH, I will not lose my sleep over the real reasons why these threads (or others in the past) were pulled.
    In this case I did expect the whole querelle to be pulled btw, as I even wrote in one post.
    Besides, I can live with the fact that whoever is in charge of moderating a forum has the right of pulling threads.
    Democracy is overrated, after all (as Brexit proves beyond any reasonable doubts ).

But what I find very annoying is the total lack of evidence of what was done.
    I mean, couldn't you please leave just the original thread title, flagged as "pulled" or whatever, and not accessible anymore?
    That would save us all the time to look for a thread and not find it anymore, till someone mentions elsewhere that it was pulled.

Don't be ashamed of your job, moderators: if you want to pull anything without disclosing the reasons, so be it.
    But pulling it and hoping that nobody remembers anything, that's unfair to say the least.
    I'd dare saying coward rather than unfair, if it weren't that I fear seeing also this thread pulled...

PS for jfm: for keeping threads you're interested to save, it's much easier and faster to cut and paste the content in a Word file, rather than making several screenshots.
    I can email them to you in this format, if you wish.

Hi MM
    Yup, agreed ,and modding certainly isn't a life or death matter. I agree Mods have the right to pull and I'm not advocating democracy here (especially since Brexit vote, as you say ), but I'm curious as to where they draw the line. In this case it looks like they are doing an ex colleague a favour, which as you say they are free to do, but it has an impact on the attractiveness of this place.

Thanks for the offer of Word file, which I'll bank if I may. I prefer the screenshots in this case because they make for better evidence. In France anyone who thinks he is victim of a "mid" or "petty" level misdemeanour (those are my descriptions not the official French labels) has a right (subject obvs to the court having discretion not to hear unwinnable cases) to bring a private prosecution at his own behest, and the process is quite efficient. Illicit telephone recording is punishable (in France) by fine or prison so it ranks as a "mid". All this is different from the UK where it is hard to prosecute privately, because the state prosecutor controls most decisions on commencing prosecutions. Obviously one needs evidence for the prosecution, and to get the French Court to agree to try the case, but an admission on social media by the accused is well established as good evidence in French courts, just as it very much is nowadays in UK civil and criminal courts.

Moderation isn’t discussed (as you all know).

However, it’s interested that none of you have recalled the bit in T’s and C’s
    Do not post rude or abusive messages - including personal attacks on other Users, .....
    Enough from me I think and I’m probably going to regret trying to be helpful.
    Semper aliud

Think the mods have had a busy day and now need a lie-down after the RS and FB threads. ;-)

JFM. I suspect the reason for them being pulled is because you used actual names both of the person and the company he works for.

I'm not claiming that's illegal but forums generally take a path of least resistance approach pulling threads if in any doubt.

I gave up posting in motor related threads because of my frustration. On a platform that theoretically gave power to the people the real bad guys were getting away with it due to naming and shaming rules.

Someone like me who was genuinely passionate about trying to do the right thing ended up taking the flak for other people's activities when they not only got away with it but were even praised by either innocent or complicit posters.

I think you have to see forums like this as a very conservative, middle England bowls club

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by henryf View Post

I think you have to see forums like this as a very conservative, middle England bowls club
    That's so funny because it's blatantly true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    Mr B posted his comment above 20 minutes ago and he is now on shore leave, with no other comments posted since this one - is this the reason why he is on shore leave? It seems to me to be very polite, same as his other posts..... what has he done wrong?
    The FB thread went downhill rapidly - he was helicoptered off the ship after attempting to defeat a troll.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast