Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    In this case it looks like they are doing an ex colleague a favour, which as you say they are free to do, but it has an impact on the attractiveness of this place.
    A very marginal impact, imho.
    I've yet to find a forum which is intesting because properly moderated.
    More often than not, forums are (or aren't) interesting in spite of moderation.
    This is no exception.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South
    Posts
    16,741

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Moderation isn’t discussed (as you all know).
    However, it’s interested that none of you have recalled the bit in T’s and C’s
    Enough from me I think and I’m probably going to regret trying to be helpful.
    Maybe the T&C’s should be amended to include “Personal Disputes” - although they do make for fascinating late-night reading.

    Something to think about - if someone makes a comment such as “I was treated really badly on the FloatingSheepLine stand at the Puddlehampton Boat Show” and someone has first hand knowledge that would put a different spin on things, then NOT posting anything is allowing something to stand that is one-sided, and would not give the reader the full picture. At least having read all the threads before they were deleted, I can form a view as to what might have actually happened.

    Alternatively ... another rule ... “You may only post about positive experiences. Sunny days, boats that don’t go wrong, vendors that always get it right, and pictures of kittens or puppies”,

    .
    Last edited by FlowerPower; 19-09-19 at 07:35.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,612

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Moderation isn’t discussed (as you all know).

    However, it’s interested that none of you have recalled the bit in T’s and C’s

    Enough from me I think and I’m probably going to regret trying to be helpful.
    Thanks jmuk for the reply. Did you take the view that my posts were “personal attack” on RS, or “rude or abusive”, or all of those, or some then (which?)? I won’t drag you into an argument or debate on the topic if you answer that, and feel free to answer just yes/no-ishly, obvs.

    I totally understand and support your heavy and timely deletions on the FB thread. I would have edited it even more heavily in your shoes. But I can’t see why in the RS threads you deleted the whole threads rather than editing the “bad” posts.
    Last edited by jfm; 19-09-19 at 07:44.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,612

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    A very marginal impact, imho.
    I've yet to find a forum which is intesting because properly moderated.
    More often than not, forums are (or aren't) interesting in spite of moderation.
    This is no exception.
    I agree all that mm, but I was trying to make a slightly different point but in reflection I should have been clearer. I meant attractiveness just in the eyes of the poster (in this case me!) who is “offended” personally by the deletions when they are done (I’m suspecting believing) dig a bad guy out of a deep hole he dug personally (and was forewarned) because he is ex-ybw. I agree with you that there is t much impact on viewers in general. No big deal I guess.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,612

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    @FP post #12: erudite post

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    9,810

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    It does look a bit like protecting someone from a Gerald Ratner moment
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,612

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    Quote Originally Posted by henryf View Post
    JFM. I suspect the reason for them being pulled is because you used actual names both of the person and the company he works for.
    Yep maybe, but actually moderator jmuk hints above at a different reason.

    Naming is of course very much an exception to general practice. I did it in this case because (i) RS himself has made public on here that the handle TO = RS; (ii) he said the company name in the thread before I did; (iii) the incident was in a public place and he was wearing a tag with his and company name in distinctive company colours.

    Item (iii) is perhaps worth some thought. If say hypothetically I saw a random guy being rude in a public place wearing a corporate ID tag, I would be free to report the event and names on here. At least I think I so- say if you disagree. Now if it then turned out the guy happened to be a poster on here, he wouldn’t suddenly get a right to anonymity by virtue of that. That I think is the right principle, and I applied it here.

    (Only I applied it more softly because I phoned -not expecting to be bugged- and invited an apology with a promise then to say nothing)
    Last edited by jfm; 19-09-19 at 08:20.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,612

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    It does look a bit like protecting someone from a Gerald Ratner moment

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,321

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    It does look a bit like protecting someone from a Gerald Ratner moment
    I don’t get that .GR ridiculed his own products in public , hurt was self inflicted.

    Moving on .

    Interesting to find out if RS ,s Priny 40 M actually hooked a serious prospect .
    After all nice subtle plug is how this all started , RS surfacing on here iirc ?

    That’s another grey area , floating about on here plugging / advertising stuff for sale .Another area with in definable boundaries made up as the mods feel fit .
    They did not react to the initial plugging of the P40 M , in fact I suspect JFM would have been “qualified “ to go on board it .
    More irony

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,612

    Default Re: Moderators, please can you give some guidance?

    Not anymore I’m not

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to