Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In mast reefing

Default In mast reefing

Thought it's time to report back on a posting I made some time ago on in mast reefing .
    After 38 years of owning boats with slab reeling , three years ago we brought our current boat with in mast sail ,
    After fighting with it for 15 month never know if the sail would come our or jam ,
    Even putting it away meant heaving at it .
    So I posted for suggestion , although there was many suggestion sadly we had already gone through them all over the 18 months and none seen to work ,

A slight miss judgement rounding a head land sew us blowing out our head sail and although after a days work my partner managed to get it back together we decided to replace it , it was getting on a bit , it's at this point our troubles with our main came to a end ,
    We asked the sail maker to take a look at the main , he agreed with me it didn't look too bad a bit stretch and on slab reeling it be find to use for many more years ,
    but said that was enough to cause some problem with an in mast reeling system, at the time I thought he was trying it on but the sail was getting on a bit and the price I was give was good .
    One year on ....
    Now we can reef in at easy , it's not got jammed since , we can reef in while pointing in the wind , or while there wind on our port or starboard side we can even if needs must while running bring the sail in the middle and by letting the foot out a little at a time so the sail don't catch the cross trees reef.
    So guys here your answer to problem in mast , if your convince you doing it right and your still having problems then no matter how good your sail look is replace it or maybe get it recut .
    How this help others .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 19-09-19 at 06:01.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: In mast reefing

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Thought it's time to report back on a posting I made some time ago on in mast reefing .
    After 38 years of owning boats with slab reeling , three years ago we brought our current boat with in mast sail ,
    After fighting with it for 15 month never know if the sail would come our or jam ,
    Even putting it away meant heaving at it .
    So I posted for suggestion , although there was many suggestion sadly we had already gone through them all over the 18 months and none seen to work ,

A slight miss judgement rounding a head land sew us blowing out our head sail and although after a days work my partner managed to get it back together we decided to replace it , it was getting on a bit , it's at this point our troubles with our main came to a end ,
    We asked the sail maker to take a look at the main , he agreed with me it didn't look too bad a bit stretch and on slab reeling it be find to use for many more years ,
    but said that was enough to cause some problem with an in mast reeling system, at the time I thought he was trying it on but the sail was getting on a bit and the price I was give was good .
    One year on ....
    Now we can reef in at easy , it's not got jammed since , we can reef in while pointing in the wind , or while there wind on our port or starboard side we can even if needs must while running bring the sail in the middle and by letting the foot out a little at a time so the sail don't catch the cross trees reef.
    So guys here your answer to problem in mast , if your convince you doing it right and your still having problems then no matter how good your sail look is replace it or maybe get it recut .
    How this help others .
    When I've used in mast reefing, the 'cocking' of the boom seems critical. If the boom end is too high, the main will not roll up cleanly because of 'creasing', causing jamming. Marking lines when the optimum boom position is found might help.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    When I've used in mast reefing, the 'cocking' of the boom seems critical. If the boom end is too high, the main will not roll up cleanly because of 'creasing', causing jamming. Marking lines when the optimum boom position is found might help.
    believe me we had the boom in more ways then you can imagine .
    Now we can leave the boom just where it is every time .
    Although your suggestion may help other .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 19-09-19 at 06:28.

The trick with the boom is to ease the main sheet and leave the sail do the rest. While reefing it will lift the boom up itself.
    Keep sailing

In mast is as ever controversial.

The IP has it, and on a 50 foot yacht with two people I wouldnt be without it. Ours works very well. I agree with your post, the original main was a little old and sail technology has moved on - a new main furled even better, replacing the bearings was one of the best things I have done, and it definitely is a good idea to be symphathetic when furling in terms of keeping lines correctly tensioned and taking the pressure off the sail. Touch wood we have had no problems and it is a delight to use especially when it really blows up.

Our present boat came with in mast furling, which didn't work very well. Even I could see that the sail was at fault. The sailmaker did some alterations, and now it's all good. I would never go back to the old system of reefing and having to hoist the sail every day.

This was exactly my experience, hard to pull out and hard to get back in. The sail looked ok but I bought a new one from Batt sails and now no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by C08 View Post
    This was exactly my experience, hard to pull out and hard to get back in. The sail looked ok but I bought a new one from Batt sails and now no problems at all.
    I think for the untrained eye it's hard to tell if the sail has been deforms enough to cause a problem ,
    Our old one set well ,
    it took a sail maker to convince me that's where the problem lied , mind you he did say if the problem wasnt solved he only charge me half price for the new sail , so he had to have seen some thing I didn't .
    The other thing I would say , as alreadybeen stated here about position the boom and on the other thread , putting a little wind in the port / startboard side as you reefing it in , and all the other advise , which I sure helps some, we can get ours in now without any of that just keeping a little tension on the outhual .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 19-09-19 at 10:26.

Our boat came with vertical battens on the main sail. Initially I was terrified. I already had worries about the in mast system, and the possibility that it would get stuck with those battens partially in the mast was horrifying.

However, soon I realised the vertical battens actually help the furling process. It's much harder for the sail edges to fold when flapping. The sail enters the mast in a much better shape.

Sailmakers try to market these vertical battens with emphasis on the increased sail area and performance issues. For cruisers, I would try to promote the advantage on the furling process.

(Note: I still have no idea what I would do if it gets stuck in mast, knock on wood!)

That's all very interesting - I have been seriously put off boats fitted with inmast furling.

How long would one expect a sail to be "good" for before reliable furling becomes an issue and needs replacement? Also are furling mains cheaper than their slab counterparts? - there must be far less stitching involved will the reduction in number of reinforcing patches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast