Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In mast reefing

Default Re: In mast reefing

The OP's experience exactly mirrors my own; a new main made it all so much easier, also making sure all the lines and blocks ran well. In my case I went for one of the slightly more expensive sail fabrics than plain Dacron, can't remember the name but it is the one with threads of Kevlar or similiar every 5 mm, this enabled the sail overall to be made with a slightly thinner fabric which helped a lot.
    In fact my old furling main looked good until my wife tore it just by folding it up on the pontoon during layup. This highlighted a particular problem with furling mains; there is always the same strip exposed to light and sun when rolled up inside the mast and it is that narrow strip that deteriorates much faster than the rest of the sail and there isn't much you can do to stop it.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    The OP's experience exactly mirrors my own; a new main made it all so much easier, also making sure all the lines and blocks ran well. In my case I went for one of the slightly more expensive sail fabrics than plain Dacron, can't remember the name but it is the one with threads of Kevlar or similiar every 5 mm, this enabled the sail overall to be made with a slightly thinner fabric which helped a lot.
    In fact my old furling main looked good until my wife tore it just by folding it up on the pontoon during layup. This highlighted a particular problem with furling mains; there is always the same strip exposed to light and sun when rolled up inside the mast and it is that narrow strip that deteriorates much faster than the rest of the sail and there isn't much you can do to stop it.
    The only part of my mainsail that's exposed to the sun, when the sail is furled, is a tiny bit at the clew, and that part has sacrificial cloth on each side. The slot is too narrow to allow any appreciable sunlight in, and even if it did manage to get in round the corner, it could only affect the leach tape. However, you're probably further south than me, and your sunshine will be more intense. Tough!

Interesting thread. I suspect that the OP had a sail that was possibly modified or re-cut from an original. A sail for in mast reefing must be cut completely flat to work properly. This is the main reason people object to them. You not only loose area but shape. The advantages of them are many when they work well though and I have found the main advantage is the ability to reef easily in any conditions which enables you to carry more sail in conditions that are marginal. In some cases people report they can point slightly higher with them too but all I can say is they appear to work best when hard on the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by boatmike View Post
    A sail for in mast reefing must be cut completely flat to work properly. .
    Don't forget the possibility to have vertical battens. You can even have roach with them.
    Keep sailing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12