Thread: Vhf signal loss

Default Vhf signal loss

Hi
    Has anybody on here experienced vhf signal loss whilst transmitting and connected via ais 800?
    Iíve just had the system fitted and before hand the vhf worked perfect, now it receives ok but the transmission is audible but breaks in and out !
    The engineer has told me itís a common problem but, not one Iíve heard of . Others that have the same ais model have said they have experienced no problems.
    Your thoughts as always appreciated !

Default Re: Vhf signal loss

Google says the AIS you have has a built in splitter.
    I would imagine the VHF ,if in use ,should take priority over the AIS. I suggest you ask Garmin for technical help.

Try connecting to a different antenna and see if you experience the same problem. It may be the new system is showing up an antenna defect.

I am awaiting a response from Garmin !

Quote Originally Posted by Salty John View Post
    Try connecting to a different antenna and see if you experience the same problem. It may be the new system is showing up an antenna defect.
    The antenna and vhf are both brand new. Purchased and fitted a month before the ais install .

Quote Originally Posted by NDB View Post
    The antenna and vhf are both brand new. Purchased and fitted a month before the ais install .
    Test it with a SWR meter, see if you're getting reflection which would point to a bad connection.

You also want to check voltage to the unit...maybe your engineer took power for the new ais unit from the vhf unit supply and it’s drawing a bit too much. Most vhf will give a low voltage warning.

I picked up the vhf power source for my ais unit and had poor transmission and voltage drop issues on transmit but would only give a low voltage warning when tx @25 watt.

Probably a naff wire/connection somewhere down the line but did a new power source for the ais and all was well.

Just a quick update to this,
    Engineer went down yesterday and replaced the cable from the vhf to the ais with a ďsealed short patchĒ lead.
    I have no idea what that means but, he says after two radio checks itís working a lot better so, a sea trial tomorrow will see if an improvement has been achieved !
    If not, a new designated antenna it will be !!