Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Yacht & dinghy race timing app

I can see it's got potential to at least capture the majority of the boats.
    Probably with a club PY fleet there would be very few 'rushes' and you could get around those.

For a 100 boat open PY event, I think I'd be reluctant to rely on it. But that's not something we do every week.
    I don't think an Android ap needs to be in that market to be successful.
    Obviously I'm very cautious about changing the way we work and cocking up an event that people are serious about.
    I don't intend that to come across as negative.

One of the things we have as a fallback is a dictaphone. I did try using my phone for that, but a single purpose device seems better.

Couple of accessibility reminders.

Please (if you haven't done so already) set tabbing and appropriate label names. Some may prefer to use the app through a screen-reader (visually impaired).

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    There is a fine line between automating the dull bits and allowing flexibility to get things into shape when it all gets a bit hectic.
    It's easy to mock scribbled bits of paper, but they are very flexible!
    As long as it's waterproof paper! Yesterday's Winter Series had me sat on the foredeck of a 34ft moderate displacement boat in just under 30kts with the anchored bow dipping into solid water every now and then. Race 1's ordinary paper cum papier mache ball actually smoothed out quite well in the warmth of the saloon a little later on. Race 2's was waterproof and my primary school teachers would have been quite proud.
    Last edited by anoccasionalyachtsman; 07-10-19 at 17:34.

What I would like is the facility to video the finishing line on my phone with the video recording the time. That way |I could sit down at the PC afterwards and get each time and each indentity spot on. As it is there is a slight time lag between spotting the finisher, putting the bins down, looking at the clock , writing down the time and then hopefully catching the next finisher
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    What I would like is the facility to video the finishing line on my phone with the video recording the time. That way |I could sit down at the PC afterwards and get each time and each indentity spot on. As it is there is a slight time lag between spotting the finisher, putting the bins down, looking at the clock , writing down the time and then hopefully catching the next finisher
    Are you doing this as a one man band?

I think there is a big difference for what I need as a club race officer for a 15 boat handicap race vs a 70 boat dinghy nationals.
    Even the little club races I don't like to work alone.
    So much easier for one person to watch the line through binocs while another writes and watches the clock.

Over the years, I think there have been all sorts of attempts to make life easier. One thing I recall was a timer which simply stored the time every time you pressed the big button. you could then roll back and write down the times so long as you got the order right. I think it was based on a load of TTL logic ICs.

IMHO the best aids are:
    1) the right people assisting
    2) dictaphone
    3) a means of excluding interruptions, including any assistants not covered by 1)
    4) video is sometimes useful, but it rarely sees anything two spotters won't have seen.
    5) somebody watching from t'other end of the line, with thier own soggy bit of paper.

Video is more useful for spotting OCS. But if you can't do it to Squadron Line standards I think it can cause more grief than it saves.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    Couple of accessibility reminders.

Please (if you haven't done so already) set tabbing and appropriate label names. Some may prefer to use the app through a screen-reader (visually impaired).
    Normally this would be a big factor in every project.

For this though somebody using a screen reader would struggle to work their way round the buttons quick enough. There are 3 links per boat (edit, pin & record time) and dozens of other elements on the page. I imagine it would take tens of seconds to find the button.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    That's a good idea.

I think there is a big difference for what I need as a club race officer for a 15 boat handicap race vs a 70 boat dinghy nationals.
    So much easier for one person to watch the line through binocs while another writes and watches the clock.

Over the years, I think there have been all sorts of attempts to make life easier. One thing I recall was a timer which simply stored the time every time you pressed the big button. you could then roll back and write down the times so long as you got the order right. I think it was based on a load of TTL logic ICs.

IMHO the best aids are:
    2) dictaphone
    3) a means of excluding interruptions, including any assistants not covered by 1)
    4) video is sometimes useful, but it rarely sees anything two spotters won't have seen.
    5) somebody watching from t'other end of the line, with thier own soggy bit of paper.

Video is more useful for spotting OCS. But if you can't do it to Squadron Line standards I think it can cause more grief than it saves.
    Yes, I'm a one man band.

Club racing would be where I envisage it being used to begin with. Certainly anybody wanting to use anything for a big and important race would have to know it well enough to trust it and know what its limits are.

I wouldn't write it off for a 70 boat nationals though. As many devices as you like can network to record the finish together, so you can have as big a team as with a paper race. I imagine each scribe could sustain recording a boat every 5 seconds (time to type the sail number (or part thereof) to queue up finishers and then clicking the record button the instant each boat crosses the line), so significantly faster than handwriting, and certainly less error prone. When there are enough breaks in the pack to queue up a few finishers, they could time boats as fast as they can move their thumb for a while.

If all else fails, times can be entered afterwards, with the help of any other aides (i.e. video, dictaphone) to get any finishers that were missed live.
    Last edited by sighmoon; 12-10-19 at 06:28.

I was asking birdseye whether he was running races as a one man band, not whether you were writing this app alone.

I think I would struggle to find sufficient volunteers of the right calibre who can type quick enough on their waterproof data entry terminals.
    The problem with multiplexing time recording operatives is that you'd need some means of assigning each finisher to a particular data entry person.

I'm sure the way we work is not state of the art. We do however have a hard earned reputation for coping and getting the results right.
    I'd be interested to know more about what other clubs etc do, for instance Cowes seems to have a pretty comprehensive system for getting multiple sets of results published very quickly. Other clubs are pratting about with live tracking via GPS but can't even get the results on the web or notice board before tea time. No doubt people will want to use the trackers to tell the results system when a boat finishes, this is clearly do-able on a large scale yacht race, not sure it's always going to give the right answer for dinghies. It will do 90% of it but not the 10% which causes stress currently.
    I'm sure some people are goingto want to at least check their results are not inconsistent with the tracker data.

Two sets of recorders with the RO calling and one timekeeper along with a video recoding has been necessary at larger and therefore well staffed events where handicap classes are involved. And yes waterproof paper
    I have found that the video is most useful in difficult situations and is also good to be shown in the bar to all as entertainment albeit that the start video provides even better subjects to talk about!

Video is a full time job for one person.
    It's also a choice between filming approaching boats and keeping a fixed view of the line. The latter might be better for resolving questions but you still get issues identifying yet another grey boat with white sails..
    With a fixed line like Cowes you can have several cameras.
    With a boat finish, a camera on a boat at the other end from the committee boat is good.

IMHO the best aids are:
    2) dictaphone

Yes, I am often doing it as a one man band. And what makes it worse is that we "borrow" the line from a neighbour yacht club so I am stood on their balcony with lots of friendly people passing by and some stopping for a chat.

Our courses are round channel markers and the start line is between that clubs flag post and a buoy close inshore. So no person in a rib to help at the offshore end. Usually two fleets of maybe 20/25 boats combined.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12