Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Move to Southsea, Chichester or Northney?

We've been in a Plymouth marina for 7 years and although there are so many lovely places to visit or just to drop anchor our visits rarely seem to coincide with the periods of comfortable seagoing weather. We sit on our boat listening to the 20kn winds and look enviously at the conditions further east. We're currently visiting family in Southsea and have been checking out the local marinas. We want to be East of Portsmouth and so far have a short list of Chichester and Southsea, both Premier, and Northney MDL. I also want to visit Birdham but looking at it on Google Earth I don't think that will really be in the running. Leaving aside the Sill at Southsea which wouldn't worry us is anyone here currently a berth holder in any of the 3 who could give me some pro's and con's please?

Default Re: Move to Southsea, Chichester or Northney?

Chichester - you have the lock to deal with. Probably fun for the first few times, possibly not quite so much fun if there's a queue at the wrong time, and it's blowy. But it's a quiet enough spot. It's a fair trundle to get out to sea.

Northney - slightly shorter trundle to get out to sea. No lock to contend with. Small cafe onsite, Langstone Hotel close. Royal Oak and Ship Inn just across the bridge. Traffic noise from the main road nearby if you are sitting on the boat.

Sparkes Marina - short trundle to get out to sea. No lock to contend with, but you do have paddleboarders / dinghies in the channel sometimes. "Drift Bar" onsite - also does food. Quiet spot. Difficulty here is you could get "stuck" on Hayling Island in the traffic if you leave on a hot Sunday evening. Not an issue for me as I live there

Southsea Marina - no clue, never been there.

Last edited by FlowerPower; 19-09-19 at 23:45.

Mallorca would be nicer and probably the same price !

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    Sparkes Marina - short trundle to get out to sea. No lock to contend with, but you do have paddleboarders / dinghies in the channel sometimes. "Drift Bar" onsite - also does food. Quiet spot. Difficulty here is you could get "stuck" on Hayling Island in the traffic if you leave on a hot Sunday evening. Not an issue for me as I live there
    Thanks, useful stuff. we'd discounted Sparkes because of the traffic. I've been trying to make sense of the charges for visiting boats to Chichester harbour generally. Very confusing. We're used to dropping anchor without having to pay for the privilege but that doesn't seem to be the case there. I need to read up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy* View Post
    Thanks, useful stuff. we'd discounted Sparkes because of the traffic. I've been trying to make sense of the charges for visiting boats to Chichester harbour generally. Very confusing. We're used to dropping anchor without having to pay for the privilege but that doesn't seem to be the case there. I need to read up properly.
    With the Hayling Island traffic, it all depends on your timing. If you arrive Friday evening, then good. If you try and leave on a hot Sunday at 5pm, that could be very bad. If you leave later (8-9pm or later) then it is generally okay, but that doesn't help if you have a long way to go and an early start the next day.

As a marina berth holder, you'd pay annual harbour dues.

£135 per year for an 11m boat, for example.

https://www.conservancy.co.uk/page/h...es-and-charges

This isn't included in the marina fees.

Last edited by FlowerPower; 19-09-19 at 11:20.

I was in Chichester for a year, loved it, the lock and long trundle to the sea are a thing as FP says, but the location is great. Wildlife, walks, pubs, onsite cafe is good, yacht club too. We had one visitor night in Southsea and are unlikely to return despite the Indian.... Birdham is very tidally constrained, more so than Chi marina.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

I'm happy with Southsea marina...

It's a friendly place.. With just the one marina bar, motor boaty and saily people all mix and all get along really well..

An excellent Indian restaurant upstairs.

Easy access to the sea then a choice of right towards the Solent, straight on towards the Isle of Wight or left a bit towards open water ..

If you can't make it from work in time for the cill, the marina staff can easily take the boat or to the holding pontoon for you ( and vice versa when you get back)...

Just realised.. you could even stay within the harbour. All in all a very small but friendly marina. Very welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_J View Post
    I'm happy with Southsea marina...

It's a friendly place.. With just the one marina bar, motor boaty and saily people all mix and all get along really well..

An excellent Indian restaurant upstairs.

Easy access to the sea then a choice of right towards the Solent, straight on towards the Isle of Wight or left a bit towards open water ..

If you can't make it from work in time for the cill, the marina staff can easily take the boat or to the holding pontoon for you ( and vice versa when you get back)...

Just realised.. you could even stay within the harbour. All in all a very small but friendly marina. Very welcoming.
    All true ref the Marina itself, but surrounding Southsea (if that's what it's called) was not a place for venturing out on foot or bikes for early beers or later suppers, we felt threatened and unwelcome. Not a happy place. All IMHO of course. We tried it, and won't choose to go back.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    All true ref the Marina itself, but surrounding Southsea (if that's what it's called) was not a place for venturing out on foot or bikes for early beers or later suppers, we felt threatened and unwelcome. Not a happy place. All IMHO of course. We tried it, and won't choose to go back.
    That's unfortunate, I lived there for a few years and never felt that way.
    If you get a taxi to Old Portsmouth, it's as if you are in a different city.

I would agree that many parts of Portsmouth/Southsea really don't fit into the "everyone down South must be rich" cliche, but I never felt unsafe - unlike London, a punch on the nose still appears to be the generally accepted method for resolving a dispute.

Southsea Marina is on the list of places I haven't been to, and I'm looking forward to a Chicken Jalfrezi there, with mushroom rice and a plain naan, please

Last edited by FlowerPower; 19-09-19 at 23:42.

What about Haslar or Port Solent ( again has a lock).

With regards to traffic it depends on whee you are coming from to an extent.

W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast