Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Move to Southsea, Chichester or Northney?

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    What about Haslar or Port Solent ( again has a lock).

With regards to traffic it depends on whee you are coming from to an extent.

W
    I was also going to suggest Haslar.

Sensibly priced, good condition thanks to a busy maintenance programme, 2 very good restaurants on site (they've recently refurbished the lightship) and you're straight out into the protected Solent. Chichester and Southsea are both unprotected by the Isle of Wight.

If you do decide on Haslar let me know and I think I'm right in saying you get a £250 referral discount as do we theoretically. Been there for over 10 years now.

What's the traffic like getting to/from Haslar?

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    We berthed in Royal Clarence in Gosport for six years. Traffic to and form Gosport is like Hayling traffic, get it wrong and it;s horrible. For example exit the M27 at 5pm of Friday evening and it can take 40 minutes to get to RC or Haslar just beyond. Exit the M27 at 7pm and it usually takes less than 20. Leaving the peninsular can be a hassle, but the worst traffic north seems to be in the mornings so was less of a hassle.

We berthed at Northney several years before Gosport. Agree with FP, though we never found the traffic noise to be intrusive. The last stretch of approach channel needs care around LWS... I managed to perform some minor excavation work with the props a couple of times, and pulled a yacht off the bank along the entrance channel one afternoon..
    Last edited by AdeOlly; 20-09-19 at 09:48.
    Adrian is searching for his next boat....

We berthed in Southsea for a few years about 15 years ago. Delighted to hear the Indian restaurant is still there.

Great access to the Solent and never found the cill much of a hinderance. The surroundings never gave any cause for concern and the marina itself is in a quite cul de sac. Should you need it the lifeboat station is very close by!

The main drawback (in common with many marinas in this area) is the access by road. The traffic down the A2030 from the A27 can be really slow at peak times and when Portsmouth is playing at home. In that respect, it's still probably better than Haslar. On the other side of the coin, depending on where you're coming from, Chichester is a long way round. Port Solent probably has the easiest access by road.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    Unless you're arriving at 5.00pm or planning to leave at 8.00am it's fine. There are a couple of ways in from Fareham and for us either the M3 or A3 is an option so let Waze decide....

Henry

We are another Haslar boat having been here since around 2002 . Main consideration might be where the OP is travelling from so if I lived in Chi I might be prepared to accept the small lock and bar for convenience of popping to boat at marina. So to start off need to consider usage of boat as if it’s a country cottage then Chi is as good a place as any but if you want to venture out then all states access is a great plus for those still working . Clearly when returning on a Sunday evening the run back to chi or say Wicor can be a bore as the season draws to a close and light fades.
    Sparkes is impacted by tides - a number of the opal staff test sailing Bavaria demonstrated this and it’s quite tight. South sea probably does have more local restaurants in Albert road worth a look.
    If you are interested in being close to road access look at port Solent of course and you can also take a sub letting of a pontoon at cheaper rates than Haslar plus some reasonable priced eateries which tend to be quieter than gun wharf . If based in the west though I would look at lymington as first choice location (O pontoon at Yacht haven Say) but its a nightmare drive from A3 direction.
    Do pay a visit to Haslar though as it’s much quicker to get out to fleshpots of cowes for sausage festival or suchlike than being in the country at Chi .

Type of boat would be another consideration for me. Ideally, you don't want to be in Port Solent and have a long schlepp through the harbour at 10kts if you're Superchargers will be running constantly.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I stopped getting emails after the first 2 so didn't realise there were more. Our daughter lives in Southsea and we've always felt safe here, especially when walking her rottweiler 😁 We're from Coventry so not much difference in the distances, all closer than Plymouth. We have a motorboat and generally potter between 6 and 8 kn. I looked at Lymington but the nearly £10k fees gave me palpitations. I haven't looked at the west of the island really just because I thought it's so popular and the sea would be very busy. However the protection given by the IOW is something to consider so I'll have a look. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Mallorca would be nicer and probably the same price !
    But would Mallorca be the same price though ?
    lets say for a targa 44 ??
    chichester v Mallorca .

Cathy if in a shallow drafted vessel you might also look at places like Emsworth and thorney island then you have all the delights of Chi harbour to potter around and not too far to visit gunwharf for the odd day trip etc or look at Fareham creek etc . Agree with thoughts on Lym moorings prices but no where near what I was told the other day about Mallorca at £60k for a 50 something mobo ( is that really the going rate there?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12