Default Another Kemp Boom Question

The outhaul on my Kemp boom (circa 1980) has been getting stiffer to use and I suspect that the internal traveller is causing the problem, so I want to service it this winter, it looks as if I have to drill out some pop rivets to gain access, I'm guessing that the traveller is nearer the 'gooseneck' end of the boom, but haven't found and drawings to confirm this, has anyone had to do this work on their Kemp Boom?
    Photos of both ends are attached if they help to identify the boom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Another Kemp Boom Question

I have drilled out the rivets at the aft end on two booms to fit single line reefing. Easy to do. I replaced the rivets with Rivnuts, enabling future removal straightforward.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

If you look at the Seldén website, you can download manuals for early Seldén booms, which are similar in design to your Kemp boom. The diagrams may help you sort out the traveller. This manual is a starting point:-

https://www.seldenmast.com/files/142.../595-081-E.pdf

Vyv and pub
    Thanks for replies, I was wondering about either tapping the casting or fitting rivnuts to avoid using pop rivets again. I had looked at the Seldon diagrams, none of them quite matched and I don’t want to pull it all apart and find a nasty surprise.
    I was happy with the system on my previous boat where the outhaul was just a rope around a pulley and then coming out of the boom to a cleat, this arrangement just seems to make life difficult to no advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    I was happy with the system on my previous boat where the outhaul was just a rope around a pulley and then coming out of the boom to a cleat, this arrangement just seems to make life difficult to no advantage.
    And they can rattle! I took the end off the boom on my old HR and wrapped the traveller in foam to stop it rattling.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

For some reason mine never had the 2:1 outhaul, just a continuous line. Needs to be tightened with the winch but no problem doing that.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    Vyv and pub
    Thanks for replies, I was wondering about either tapping the casting or fitting rivnuts to avoid using pop rivets again. I had looked at the Seldon diagrams, none of them quite matched and I don’t want to pull it all apart and find a nasty surprise.
    I serviced the outhaul of my 1980 Selden boom last winter. (Cannot open you attachments, so not sure if mine is similar to yours).
    What I found was a 4:1 tackle, as you suspect, rather close to the goose neck. The tackle line was anchored to the goose neck casting, on the same axle was also a small sheave, probably tufnol. At the other end of the tackle was a common fiddle block, connected to a stainless wire with the outhaul at the aft end.
    The main reason for stiffness was the tufnol sheave not turning on the axle, had probably swelled over the years.
    I replaced sheave, axle and tackle line, everything runs fine now.
    I also thought about tapping, but in the end decided not to. The rivets goes into holed ’tabs’ that are part of the casting, they locked a bit too fragile for tapping, so just replaced with new monel rivets.

I doubt the boom has a traveller like a main sheet traveller but as described a 2 to one 3 to one or 4 to one tackle inside the boom. Yes a recipe for friction and problems. So you need to remove the fittings on the boom. Easy to drill out the pop rivets but likely difficult to free the fitting from the tube. Worse case you may have to cut the boom tube and shorten it a bit. So check before you start that you can shorten it. However try the hot water and other remedies for corrosion.
    As said for smaller boats a bit of spectra rope passed through the eyelet on the clew and back to a saddle will give an external 2 part purchase which with the aid of a winch on cabin top might be suitable. I found that a tackle just makes it very difficult to free the foot for light conditions. ol'will