Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: For those that charter - boat age question

If the charter companies have on line booking you may be able to get a good idea of how well each type charters - typically it is the ability to fill the weeks outside the peak season that makes the difference in profitability.

In answer to the question of age I don't think the age per se will make much of a difference but there may be higher costs associated with keeping the older boat up to the required standard and it will also depend on the history of the boats. A boat that has had 10 years in a charter fleet is likely to be a lot more tired than one that has been in private ownership

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    You need to look at the market where your gonna put it into charter..

In some markets.. (Iím thinking western canada for instance...). There is a large number of surprisingly elderly yachts on the market...

Most markets will support a range of ages, Ive certainly chartered modestly (ie 4 or 5 year old) yachts in the BVI... as well as brand new one...

But the best choice is always going to come down to that regional market I think... and a good look at how older yachts are priced...

So you need to look at the local market you want to place the boat into...
    yeah - talk to the management company - what boat would THEY want to offer is the question. When i rented my boat out, the charter co was very clear that the client is "theirs", perhaps returning year after year to different boat each time - not "yours" so much .... so again, if they're the right stuff they will advise and help with refit eg using local suppliers who can fix/replace it

oh and the more "known" manufacturers gotta be the way to go I think for resale and hence presumably for charter. But not my/our opinion that counts so much. FontaineP is just such a commodity i would go with that.

I would like some link to clever dinghy lift-up stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by t21 View Post
    oh and the more "known" manufacturers gotta be the way to go I think for resale and hence presumably for charter. But not my/our opinion that counts so much. FontaineP is just such a commodity i would go with that.

I would like some link to clever dinghy lift-up stuff?
    I agree to a point.

But surely you arenít suggest lagoon are not well known.

I should also mention that the boat will also be used by us privately rather than run solely as a full time charter business only.

Please donít start to comment/guess on vat and tax btw.

Tender lift kit here http://www.tenderlift.net/lib/Brochure%20LGM%202018.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    I should also mention that the boat will also be used by us privately rather than run solely as a full time charter business only.
    I would suggest you buy the one you want to sail and let the chartering side look after itself

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    That looks good.

I bareboat chartered my 44ft Privilege cat in the BVI from brand new until 6 years old. When new the boat chartered in excess of 35 weeks each year but by the time it was 6 years old it was less than 20 weeks. However, I then ran it as crewed charter for a couple of years and nobody gave a damn how old the boat was, it only mattered how good it looked and how well it was marketed. Great times.

So if you are planning on crewing yourself or having a professional crew aboard I think a 50 ft Lagoon will do very well providing it is well maintained and the crew pamper the guests.

One more thing... I think you'll need a bigger tender. On a boat that size something with a centre console and maybe a 50 hp engine would be usual.
    Last edited by Jeannius; 21-09-19 at 17:03.

Thanks

I’m
    Happy to get as bigger tender as possible. I meant to type 3m+.
    Currently on my 50ft mono I have a 3.4m Walkerbay with a 40 horse yammy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12