Default Help - New engine block needed !!

I recently bought a 1958 27' Elysian with GRP hull and mahogany superstructure, fitted with a BMC Vedette 100 petrol engine. Despite the fitting of a new cylinder head (old one was cracked) water is still getting into at least one cylinder and oil filter which I'm told can only be due to a failed (cracked ?) block.
    Does anyone know where I could find a short engine block for what is effectively a Morris Minor 1100 engine (I've posted on the MM owners club forum) or a reconditioned engine ?
    I am new to boating, so any help, recommendations, or advice would be much appreciated ! Thank you !

Default Re: Help - New engine block needed !!

Try some of the Thames Boatbuilders.

BMC was a common engine in slipper launches and so forth, but now are being removed for electric conversions or more modern power units. Freebody; Henwood & Dean, Wootons and so forth.

Bite the bullet and get a small Beta. I don't mean to sound unhelpful but the combination of old engine, moisture, petrol, fumes will detract from your sailing experience.

I sailed a 1953 Hillyard and the best thing I did was pulling out the old BMC 1.5 donk and replacing it with a Beta 25.

Thank you I will make some enquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinBirch View Post
    Bite the bullet and get a small Beta. I don't mean to sound unhelpful but the combination of old engine, moisture, petrol, fumes will detract from your sailing experience.

I sailed a 1953 Hillyard and the best thing I did was pulling out the old BMC 1.5 donk and replacing it with a Beta 25.
    Thank you - that's for for thought ! Do you know a ballpark cost for a Beta 25 ?

Quote Originally Posted by stuart0507 View Post
    Thank you - that's for for thought ! Do you know a ballpark cost for a Beta 25 ?
    There’s a Beta 30 brand new on eBay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163806710208
    Semper aliud

Stuart0507

Not cheap and these are late 2014 prices -Beta 25 was £4.2k delivered, marine engineer to fit £1k, other bits £1k (shaft, new batteries, prop, fuel pipes etc) and on top was haul out/in and engine lift out /in.

Having had the BMC let me down going west off Yarmouth IoW. spring ebbs and no wind I didn't regret a penny of it. Well worth it for my peace of mind. Once again many thanks to the fellow mariner in the big Rib that hauled me back to Yarmouth!

Try getting a short engine from Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

a member of the forum, mcalan, has a boat with a Vedette engine, on which he had work done by someone in Henley...might be worth an ask.