Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Yanmar 4LHA-DTE compresion test values

Quote Originally Posted by tonci View Post
    Well, what can I say.., when some prospective buyer comes to your boat, you do that.
    You don't know anything about arangement between seller and myself.
    And why would my trip be wasted? I'm looking forward to see the boat and take it for a ride! Enough for my trip, not to be wasted.
    I'm not having a pop at you but what you propose to do is not the accepted way in going about buying a boat and just suggest you ask the owner if it's ok with them to dismantle his engine for these tests rather than take it for granted as being your right. And yes. FWIW I think 90% of the boaters here would agree with me, no tyre kicking spanner work from the punters please.

Default Re: Yanmar 4LHA-DTE compresion test values

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I'm not having a pop at you but what you propose to do is not the accepted way in going about buying a boat and just suggest you ask the owner if it's ok with them to dismantle his engine for these tests rather than take it for granted as being your right. And yes. FWIW I think 90% of the boaters here would agree with me, no tyre kicking spanner work from the punters please.
    I didn’t think this post would turn into such a debate .
    Based on years of experience let’s go to the next stage .
    If I was being employed as engineer to test the compression of this engine I would in the eyes and law of the vendor be responsible for any further problems to this engine borne from dismantling of the engine.
    I will give you an example , some year back I acted as expert witness for a boat owner who had his engine removed and rebuilt by a company , the engine was never any good after the rebuild , it overheated, lost its coolant into the sump over a short period of time .
    This was all from dismantling the engine which it turned out the engine didn’t require dismantling in the first place and it was a leaking exhaust elbow not the cylinder liner seals as first falsely diagnosed .

The point I’m making here is that further problems can occur , another example would be a tiny flake of paint after removing the injectors , paint inside the end of the injector pipe, then forced into the body of the injector damaging the nozzle , a result damaging the piston crown melting the piston because the injector has no spray pattern .
    Or in the case of the yanmar engineer snapping a glow plug off in the head .

The buyer and seller here need to agree som ground on this , my point would be that if the engine doesn’t start well or under performs there could be grounds for investigation, but compression figures are pretty serious faults .

I for one will not carry out this test on any survey unless it’s proven there are issues with the engine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12