Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sea cadets kit stolen.

Overnight on Tuesday 17th / Wednesday 18th September, Farnham Sea Cadet Unit was broken into. Those responsible damaging the main fence and a various of doors within the building. The thieves have stolen a number of items that include; TV's, various petrol tools that are used to maintain the grounds & two outboard motors for their power boats (plus various other items for the cadets).

I happen to know the sea cadet unit as they’ve recently asked me to be their honorary chaplain. It’s run by an extremely enthusiastic group of volunteers and is a very successful facility for local young people.

If any Forum members were feeling generous, they have a ‘Just Giving’ page which I have given the link to below. My only concern is that they haven’t been quite realistic enough in their target of £2000 as they had outboard motors stolen as well as lots of other items. If you are able to help, thank you very much.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfund...0190920_114260
    Semper aliud

Default Re: Sea cadets kit stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Overnight on Tuesday 17th / Wednesday 18th September, Farnham Sea Cadet Unit was broken into. Those responsible damaging the main fence and a various of doors within the building. The thieves have stolen a number of items that include; TV's, various petrol tools that are used to maintain the grounds & two outboard motors for their power boats (plus various other items for the cadets).

I happen to know the sea cadet unit as they’ve recently asked me to be their honorary chaplain. It’s run by an extremely enthusiastic group of volunteers and is a very successful facility for local young people.

If any Forum members were feeling generous, they have a ‘Just Giving’ page which I have given the link to below. My only concern is that they haven’t been quite realistic enough in their target of £2000 as they had outboard motors stolen as well as lots of other items. If you are able to help, thank you very much.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfund...0190920_114260
    This is the lowest of scum. I cant give anything right now, see my posts, I did give time to the Air Cadets previously.

Are you suggesting their figure is to high? I'd think it too low..

W.

He suggest it's too low , to replace all that's going to cost much more then£2000
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    This is the lowest of scum. I cant give anything right now, see my posts, I did give time to the Air Cadets previously.

Are you suggesting their figure is to high? I'd think it too low..

W.
    I think it’s way too low. I’ve made a first donation and I’m hoping others will feel generous and contribute too. I appreciate that there are lots of ‘good causes’ but this is an organisation that gets very little official help and backing and has to fund raise locally to give the best experience to the young people it cares for.
    Semper aliud

Done. What a bummer. Thanks for flagging it up

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    Done. What a bummer. Thanks for flagging it up
    Thank you for your donation. I always live in hope that someone’s got an unused outboard (perhaps one that has a fault we can fix?) sitting in their shed and that they can donate. We’ve got a spare flat screen tv we won in a raffle and don’t know what to do with that they can have for their senior rated mess.
    Semper aliud

I've got Yamaha Malta 3.5hp two stroke. It starts ok but wont run reliably. I have spent hours fiddling with it and, if you have an expert on hand, you are welcome to it.

The snag is that my locus is some way away (nr Colchester). If you know anyone who will pick it up, let me know.
    davidej

Disgusting behaviour, stealing from cadets. How come the stuff wasn't insured, is that normal? I would have thought the RN ought be paying for things like that, they must benefit from the cadet organisation.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Disgusting behaviour, stealing from cadets. How come the stuff wasn't insured, is that normal? I would have thought the RN ought be paying for things like that, they must benefit from the cadet organisation.
    The RN do pay for some stuff. They supply uniforms and support, but a lot of the stuff is bought locally and fundraised for locally.

I think that the issue is that some items aren't insured. Repairing windows and doors smashed will depend on the voluntary skills of local chippies, but the frames and doors still need to be bought. I'm not sure of the exact details, but I believe that the insurance couldn't be on a 'new for old' basis as the building isn't occupied most of the time. This means that you only get 'assigned value' and there isn't much value in a second hand TV, but when you go to replace it , it costs real money.

Same as the outboard motors. The insurance doesn't pay for the full cost of replacement. And we haven't mentioned insurance excess yet...

I don't know the details (and I can find out and post more details if you wish) but I do know that the unit is out of pocket for a considerable sum of money.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by davidej View Post
    I've got Yamaha Malta 3.5hp two stroke. It starts ok but wont run reliably. I have spent hours fiddling with it and, if you have an expert on hand, you are welcome to it.

The snag is that my locus is some way away (nr Colchester). If you know anyone who will pick it up, let me know.
    I'll check with the unit. We've certainly got the engineering backup to fix it as appropriate, but first I need to check if it's an appropriate size. Thank you for the offer.
    Semper aliud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast