Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    476

    Default Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    It's come to my notice that Oceanflex 35mm2 tinned battery cable seems to only be rated to 70 degrees C. Oceanflex's smaller cables are rated to 105, as is the 2AWG ancor battery cable that I also have. This would therefore appear to be poorly spec'd in comparison, especially given that it is connected to, and routed close by, the engine! Is a 70 degrees C rating deemed sufficient and fit for purpose? As always, thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,617

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    According to Furneaux Riddall, who are generally trustworthy, Oceanflex 35mm2 is "Suitable for use at temperatures from -40C to 105C with excursions up to 120C".

    https://www.furneauxriddall.com/acat...PER_METRE.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    476

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    According to Furneaux Riddall, who are generally trustworthy, Oceanflex 35mm2 is "Suitable for use at temperatures from -40C to 105C with excursions up to 120C".

    https://www.furneauxriddall.com/acat...PER_METRE.html
    Unfortunately I think that's generic information, and not specifically correct for that product. My cable is stamped 70 degrees C (unfortunately I'm not at the boat at present and so I can't provide a photo) and Koyaycat's website states the lower figure:

    https://kojaycat.co.uk/Cable-Tinned-...-Battery-Cable

    I had just assumed that this would be spec'd the same as other 'quality' tinned cable...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,617

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    Quote Originally Posted by syvictoria View Post
    Unfortunately I think that's generic information, and not specifically correct for that product. My cable is stamped 70 degrees C (unfortunately I'm not at the boat at present and so I can't provide a photo) and Koyaycat's website states the lower figure:

    https://kojaycat.co.uk/Cable-Tinned-...-Battery-Cable

    I had just assumed that this would be spec'd the same as other 'quality' tinned cable...
    The manufacturers of Oceanflex say 105C, why not have a word with them?

    https://www.automarinecables.com/cab...ils.cfm?id=181

    I suspect you've been sold flexible battery cable which isn't actually Oceanflex. Auto Marine also make a flexible battery cable which is only rated to 70C. Have a look at their cable catalogue, page 11...

    https://www.automarinecables.com/use...8-19-cable.pdf

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    8,013

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    ASAP list it as suitable up to 70 degrees. My boat is wired with 35mm Oceanflex and it definitely says 70c on it.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hants/Lozre
    Posts
    4,723

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    Mine too. For that reason, when I rewired the 12v on our boat I kept all the wiring in the engine compartment as is with evidently higher temp cable.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    476

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    The catalogue actually shows my tinned cable on page 20 as 70C. However, if this is good enough for PaulRainbow and Hoolie, well, I suppose it must be good enough for me!
    Last edited by syvictoria; 20-09-19 at 12:49. Reason: Typo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,617

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    Quote Originally Posted by syvictoria View Post
    The catalogue actually shows my tinned cable on page 20 as 70C. However, if this is good enough for PaulRainbow and Hoolie, well, I suppose it must be good enough for me!
    And on p20 it says to refer to p17 for specifications, where it then says 105C! Rather a poor show from a British manufacturer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    If you cable is getting anywhere near 70C you definitely need a bigger cable but the temperature rating also relates to the maximum ampacity of the cable.. The same size cable can manage increasing amounts of current at increasing temperatures.. As you can see here..https://www.bluesea.com/resources/52...reSizing_Chart

    Do your load calculations and make sure the cable is suitable and go to the next size up if you are close to reaching the limit of the cable.. Also remember that the length of the cable is important to factor as well..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    476

    Default Re: Battery cable temperature rating only 70 degrees C?

    Quote Originally Posted by wipe_out View Post
    If you cable is getting anywhere near 70C you definitely need a bigger cable but the temperature rating also relates to the maximum ampacity of the cable.. The same size cable can manage increasing amounts of current at increasing temperatures.. As you can see here..https://www.bluesea.com/resources/52...reSizing_Chart

    Do your load calculations and make sure the cable is suitable and go to the next size up if you are close to reaching the limit of the cable.. Also remember that the length of the cable is important to factor as well..
    Thanks for the advice. I have already gone up one size as 25mm2 would have been sufficient according to calculations. I was simply surprised that the spec. of the offending cable was less than all of the others I've installed, battery or otherwise.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to