Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Equinoctial gale?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    At first glance I mis read and thought you said 'time for a little goat' .......

Anyway welcome back!
    Thanks.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    It's still a bit far out for proper forecasts, but it certainly looks as if we may have some wind next week...

Can you rewrite that please. I am off to Dover from Bradwell tomorrow ( Sunday) & Boulogne on Monday. I will forget Dieppe as wind in wrong direction, but I would like a nice sail back to Bradwell by weekend, please. Up the chuff is OK, but not 30Kts
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 21-09-19 at 12:35.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I’m buying into that one.

We all know the weather has nothing to do with the equinox, but we do get plenty of bad weather at this time.
    However I do think that the equinox has a lot to do with the weather.... in that as the sun 'moves' from north to south and back again it drags the big semi permanent highs with it. The effect of this is.. in my op... felt most in the 'transitional' lats... in the S. Hemisphere the 40's... weather in that part of Chile goes from NW in summer to S'ly in winter as the SE Pacific high moves back and forth.

It is very noticable in Bass Strait as the high over the continent moves south and then back again. Equinoctial gales a very much a thing...
    While land gales are not so common the rainfall is a measure of it , wettest months down on the campo in SE Oz are typically March into late April and again August and September ( the campo is in 38º S).

Maybe 30 years ago Mike Harris, the Yotreps man, had a small piece published in PBO... an ancient Mediterranean weather 'Almanac' he had found which ran along the lines of ' on the 5th day after the 2nd full moon it shall blow a stinker from the west'.... seems it still holds true most of the time today.

For Bass Strait you don't need the weather man to tell you that 5 days after the southern summer solstice (Boxing Day) it shall start raining and a full SW gale shall get away on the 6th day....
    My childhood Boxing Days involved sitting in a tent by the seaside, wet sand everywhere, surrounded by new 'beach toys'... goggles, fins, snorkel..... wishing someone had thought to give me a book....
    And we all know what invariably happens in the eastern approaches to Bass Strait on the 6th day....
    Last edited by Frank Holden; 21-09-19 at 23:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    However I do think that the equinox has a lot to do with the weather.... ....
    Well, after a while on google seems probably not.... Not that specific anyway. Averaging out the 'best' weather is around midsummer and 'worst' is mid winter with a fairly even curve between , there isn't a spike just when the sun's geographical position happens to cross the equator. Though those days are memorable dates so our pattern loving brains remember events which happened then rather than some random Wednesday afternoon.

Interestingly now doing an at least 3rd reread of the fantastic modern marine weather by David Burch - the itcz is getting wider, the NH ocean highs are tending to be a bit further north as are the averaged out depression tracks as the planet gets warmer.

Yeah yeah in Faversham natives are a quid each, rocks 40p each!

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Or maybe autumn gale would be a better term. Equinoctial gales are a myth. Our cavemen brains do love to see patterns which don't actually exist
    Meteorological Office:

“The implication… that gales are either more frequent or more severe near the equinoxes than at other times is not supported by observations. In all parts of the British Isles, for example, the peak frequency of moderate or severe gales is near the winter solstice and the minimum frequency near the summer solstice.”
    It's nice to be important........ but more important to be nice

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

And today, bang on cue, we had what might not technically have been a gale but was certainly Thoroughly Miserable.

And today, bang on cue, we had what might not technically have been a gale but was certainly Thoroughly Miserable.
    Oh look, a pattern... ...

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I am not an un-biassed observer! I have a boat eating her head off in a Solent marina and I want her home on the East Coast as soon as possible, but the weather is not co-operating!

I am not an un-biassed observer! I have a boat eating her head off in a Solent marina and I want her home on the East Coast as soon as possible, but the weather is not co-operating!
    I think you have mentioned September gales in previous year/years . I think you are probably right
    Am based in the West Country at the moment. It‘s horrible . Still quite warm though.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast