Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Equinoctial gale?

Woke this morning to rain of biblical proportions.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Likewise, plus a power cut.

Memo to self: Dig out that camping stove that one of the kids has left in the loft. I don't do well without my coffee

All the same, a bit breezy yesterday, but certainly not a gale.

Getting back to weather patterns, it does seem to me that the first couple of weeks of September are often pretty decent, often better than August.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

A bit beyond astro dates (and possibly sensible forecast horizon), a little storm bowling with the Azores

animation of ensemble runs
    Last edited by Roberto; 24-09-19 at 10:01.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Wet and windy last year on 15th sept, obviously the middle of september gales cause by the sun being somewhere

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

In the distant era BC ("Before Children") I used to make a point of picking the first two weeks of September for a cruise.

Having almost arrived at After Dependency, I have gone back to that, but this year thanks to a steering gear issue I got caught out with the boat 223 miles from home...

I'm off to the Solent this weekend, a rare and terrifying event due to the number of boats, a F8/F9 in the shipping forecast for Wright. Nothing to do with the nudge of energy as the earth starts wobbling the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Left over hurricane bits?
    Exactly! Nothing to do with the equinox per se but at this time of the year we often get the remnants of hurricanes making their way across the Atlantic and hitting us as high winds, perhaps gales.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    In the distant era BC ("Before Children") I used to make a point of picking the first two weeks of September for a cruise.
    Ditto in Bass Strait and thereabouts..... first two weeks of March = Good.. however..

Anyone making hard arrangements involving going afloat or even going camping from mid March through to the first week of April is brave indeed. For landsmen the Autumn Break, for marineros the equinoctial gales.... a general term..

If it was set in concrete that it would blow on the 21st it would be known as 'The Equinox Gale' ....it isn't.. it is more flexible than that.

Very easy to spot the change in the weather in autumn at 'around the time of the equinox'... not so easy in the spring.

Currently in Antofagasta after a very fast run up from Valdivia... very fresh right up to the TofC... but I think that was just 'weather'.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234