Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Default Re: Single handed MOB drill

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    Unless the boat was...
    * Sailing down wind.
    * The boat was on autopilot and the second was not immediately at the helm. This is VERY common. It would virtually always be the case for me.
    Ditto for us. We rarely hand steer. We are normally lounging around on beanbags reading a kindle whilst under way.

How many times have you tried it?

It doesnt take long to show even a novice to follow a few basic instructions and its a typical training scenario.

Push that button. Turn wheel or tiller that wa. Pull those two ropes. Cmon it aint rocket science and in just a few sessions this week i got 3 people well up to spec. Two had never been on a yacht before.

Its all about practice. Show them then do it. Over and again until you are both happy. All sports and hobbies need practice to get competency and confidence.

When threads like this 'bob' up Could it be that some posters lack a bit of confidence in their own abilities because they dont practice?

Do try it you may surprise yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    How many times have you tried it?

It doesnt take long to show even a novice to follow a few basic instructions and its a typical training scenario.

Push that button. Turn wheel or tiller that wa. Pull those two ropes. Cmon it aint rocket science and in just a few sessions this week i got 3 people well up to spec. Two had never been on a yacht before.

Its all about practice. Show them then do it. Over and again until you are both happy. All sports and hobbies need practice to get competency and confidence.

When threads like this 'bob' up Could it be that some posters lack a bit of confidence in their own abilities because they dont practice?

Do try it you may surprise yourself.
    You are right about practice. And the OP was sailing with partner. So itís relevant.

In a mobo my drill (if Iím at the helm ) is scream at pax to sit, come to neutral (sudden slop) and press red button, turn boat on the spot (spin the boat on its engines on twin shaft) and follow the wake back to the casualty. You can read all sorts of wise advice about Williamson turns to get back. Ok in a sports boat but not on a big shaft boat and my simple method works in any mobo.
    Then put the boat upwind of the casualty with the wind bang on the beam. Drift down in neutral with a tick of the engine furthest from the casualty if needed to go forward or astern and heís still in sight. Use bowthruster to stay beam to the wind.
    I find it easy but I forget how hard it actually is without practice - when others try they really struggle with even figuring out where the wind is.

As said before if itís non sailors on a day trip they get shown how to go to neutral and how to press the button. That will do I wouldnít do the practice with every friend I take out.
    Last edited by Elessar; 27-09-19 at 13:14.

Agree with all that except when I was taught to teach it on mobos, to initially go to tickover rather than stop with helm hard over. Just a tiny detail and it all works!

Agree with all that except when I was taught to teach it on mobos, to initially go to tickover rather than stop with helm hard over. Just a tiny detail and it all works!
    didn't quite understand that - I don't touch the helm at all so i won't stop with the helm hard over.

I spin the boat by splitting the throttles, if it's windy I'll wind some helm on as that increases the spin speed by a 1/3 or so and can help you get the bow through the wind but I don't normally bother, just leave the helm amidships. (this absolutely does not apply to out drive mobos!)

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    didn't quite understand that - I don't touch the helm at all so i won't stop with the helm hard over.

I spin the boat by splitting the throttles, if it's windy I'll wind some helm on as that increases the spin speed by a 1/3 or so and can help you get the bow through the wind but I don't normally bother, just leave the helm amidships. (this absolutely does not apply to out drive mobos!)
    That's fine if you have 2 engines but most sailboats only one. I spin my single engine boat by putting the engine on tickover and helm hard over.

If you keep the engine at normal speed the turning circle tend to be larger. I was taught this to allow spinning the boat in a narrow channel or between moored boats in a marina.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

The effective method I was shown with motor mob was throttles to tick over and spin wheel towards mob to kick stern away. Then as you say heave to upwind and juggle outbard engine throttle for recovery.

Worked for me on all kinds of mobo.

The effective method I was shown with motor mob was throttles to tick over and spin wheel towards mob to kick stern away. Then as you say heave to upwind and juggle outbard engine throttle for recovery.

Worked for me on all kinds of mobo.
    fair enough. I just don't normally bother with the wheel on bigger shaft drive mobos. Another thing do do for little gain, and the risk you'll forget and leave them over causing confusion later. My rudders do virtually nothing at tickover and nothing at all at less than about 6 knots out of gear. They are the size of a bit of A4 paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    That's fine if you have 2 engines but most sailboats only one. I spin my single engine boat by putting the engine on tickover and helm hard over.

If you keep the engine at normal speed the turning circle tend to be larger. I was taught this to allow spinning the boat in a narrow channel or between moored boats in a marina.
    Understood Roger and all agreed but I was responding to his comment about mobos

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112