Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer trouble

Default Trailer trouble

A friend of mine has a dinghy trailer with some old three stud hubs. On changing a flat, he put the lug nuts back on the wrong way up, leaving the wheel with play over the studs that eventually sheering two of the three off at the hub on trying to recover his boat!

This leaves two problems:

• How to drive the flush studs out? I suggested a soak with Plusgas, heat and a heavy sledge and punch should do it?
    • The wheel itself is damaged with the metal being bent out of shape around the studding where the movement occurred. Is there anywhere three stud wheels can be sourced? Or would you suggest a repair could be done to this wheel at an engineering shop? New plate welded on and then re-drilled?

Damaged wheel:

Hub with two studs sheered off:

Thanks for any assistance.

Default Re: Trailer trouble

Depending on the PCD and wheel diameter, do Citroen 2CV's have 3 x studs?

You should be able to drift out the old studs with a decent punch/drift and a club hammer.
    Alternatively, using an angle grinder (and PPE!!) grind off the rear of the stud (the larger "flange" section) flush with the hub and knock out from rear towards front. The heat generated by grinding will assist removal.
    Last edited by mickywillis; 20-09-19 at 21:55.

Tarbert Harbour, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland, UK

The small engined Saxo was 3 stud. 98mm PCD, iirc.
    13 or 14 inch rims.

Ash

As said you should be able to drift out the old studs and replace with proper wheel studs. The Citroen AX also had three stud wheels. Looking at the photo it might be a good idea to replace that tyre as well!

Have you considered changing the 3 stud hubs for new 4 stud hubs? They are quite sensibly priced on the dreaded E-Bay.
    Yes, you have to replace wheels too but a pair of new 4 stud wheels could easily be cheaper than repairing the one damaged 3 stud one.

Just a thought

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1962 View Post
    Have you considered changing the 3 stud hubs for new 4 stud hubs? They are quite sensibly priced on the dreaded E-Bay.
    Yes, you have to replace wheels too but a pair of new 4 stud wheels could easily be cheaper than repairing the one damaged 3 stud one.

Just a thought
    This is probably the easiest route to sorting the problem. If the wheels are mounted on Indespension units, then it might be easier still to replace the whole suspension unit.

Jeeze, has he been using that tyre on the road?
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

As others have said, I'd go for new hubs and 4 stud wheels, assuming the stub axle is compatible.
    New wheels with tyres are often on offer for £45 a pair or so.
    Hubs with bearings about £15 each?
    You can usually pick up an old wheel to carry as a spare, or at least you know you can buy one in any major town.

I'll add to what everyone else has said, unless cost is absolutely the most important thing, go for new 4 bolt hubs and 10 inch (minimum) wheels.

Don't buy 8 inch wheels, the tyres get far too hot at normal road speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    I'll add to what everyone else has said, unless cost is absolutely the most important thing, go for new 4 bolt hubs and 10 inch (minimum) wheels.

Don't buy 8 inch wheels, the tyres get far too hot at normal road speed.
    8 inch wheels work OK, but 10 inch give a softer ride, nice if you've got a wooden boat.
    Raising the trailer by 3 inches from 400-8 to 500-10 tyres can affect rearward view, mate of mine nearly got nicked with a police car following him unseen behind his boat at 'something well over 60' on the A34.
    Bigger wheels means new mudguards etc and the cost escalates.
    I changed one trailer to hubs taking Peugeot wheels, but car breakers seem to want proper money for wheels these days. Alloys not recommended apparently but DYOR on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast