Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Went to see a boat

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Those are boats in good, sailaway condition. The Gumtree one is a wreck, and putting it into a condition anywhere approaching the "possible value" examples would cost more than it would be worth.

Sadly that looks like a “someone please take this off my hands” far too many old boats of that size around now with not enough buyers. Don't forget than one is on a drying mooring and may well have the wobbly keel problem too.
    The worrying thing is as time goes on there will be a lot more but that category will be moving into the 30-32 ft region. I’ve just sold my boat but it’s a worrying time wondering what to buy now and how sellable it will be in say 10 years time.

He has lost any appetite he may have had to improve its presentation. He said he bought it to live aboard while he did up the boat he lives in, alongside. It is obstructing the crane berth of the yard, which he also works in. I can see that everything will need overhaul and checking through from top to tail. However, I could see that a two week blitz, carefully planned, would achieve a lot.
    Some idea of possible values here:
    https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/c...sterly/Centaur
    If you go for it, I have some new genuine gasket sets and other useful new MD2 B parts, nice and cheap. Ad in the For Sale forum.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

I don't know what price one of these boats in good nick would fetch. It is quite possible as fisherman suggests that it is basically sound and it only needs elbow grease and some tidying up to make it decent and useable. Could be ok for someone with a limited budget and practical skills.?

I don't know the yacht in question nor the location but here:

We have a considerable number of yachts on swing moorings in the 18'-25' range and I'd guess in the 1970s-80s vintage. They are considered mooring minders, in fact I know one called 'Minder'. Moorings in desirable places are in short supply. Most of these yachts don't move and in addition to being minders are floating reefs with 15/30mm of marine growth on the hull. Recently in a bit of a breeze the mast of one fell down, forestay failed. They also used to break free and end up on a beach but it is now demanded that along with renewing your mooring (pay money) you need to show the mooring is being serviced annually, more money.

We have one on the next mooring to us - the owner, wife and 2 kids were last on it 10 years, or so, ago - we have not seen them since.

But they cost - you need to pay NSW Govm for the lease of the mooring space. You need to pay for a boat registration licence. You need to pay for the mooring to be serviced, annually. If you want to go into a marina (fuel/AF anything) - really you need 3rd party insurance - but no-one asks. There are virtually no facilities, round Sydney (nor I believe Queensland) to dry out and do you own antifouling - which means paying to go into a slipway/travel hoist.

Its a lot of money - that gets you no-where for a yacht that is valued at Stg1 (and as mentioned, frequently, will cost a lot of money to return to a sailaway condition (and importantly - will appeal to a wife (or girl friend).

Having said all that - where does a kid start who has an ambition to sail. Small yachts, like the J24 of 25 years ago, have disappeared and starter yachts, at boat shows (that will eventually filter down) now seem to be 30'-35'.

If you are the owner of a minder, and eventually buy the bigger yacht for which you have been minding the space or accept you are of sufficient seniority that you are never again going to sail your pride and joy - what do you do with the 50 year old floating reef?

Its all an increasing problem.

The answer is - you need to keep her in a sailaway condition in the first place - but that does not happen.

Jonathan

My Centaur was in much better condition than that one when I bought her but I have still spent three times as much as I paid for her on refurbishment.
    He said, "All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."

When you consider the great condition of this boat, with a new engine fitted in 2014 and lots if updates and looks to be sold for under £7,000 I know which I would go for, you can be out on the water straight away.
    https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...ntaur-2771966/

Plenty of other good examples going for similar money

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...at./1343660597......

The windows have been replaced with ply and stupid little portholes......

This is probably the main sticking point, it does not look like a Centaur and nobody likes to be lumbered with the previous owners daft ideas. Apart from that, with a little tidy up, it might go quite quickly.

Up here in the Highlands I could probably find 6 or so freebies so why pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    I don't know the yacht in question nor the location but here:

We have a considerable number of yachts on swing moorings in the 18'-25' range and I'd guess in the 1970s-80s vintage. They are considered mooring minders, in fact I know one called 'Minder'. Moorings in desirable places are in short supply. Most of these yachts don't move and in addition to being minders are floating reefs with 15/30mm of marine growth on the hull. Recently in a bit of a breeze the mast of one fell down, forestay failed. They also used to break free and end up on a beach but it is now demanded that along with renewing your mooring (pay money) you need to show the mooring is being serviced annually, more money.

We have one on the next mooring to us - the owner, wife and 2 kids were last on it 10 years, or so, ago - we have not seen them since.

But they cost - you need to pay NSW Govm for the lease of the mooring space. You need to pay for a boat registration licence. You need to pay for the mooring to be serviced, annually. If you want to go into a marina (fuel/AF anything) - really you need 3rd party insurance - but no-one asks. There are virtually no facilities, round Sydney (nor I believe Queensland) to dry out and do you own antifouling - which means paying to go into a slipway/travel hoist.

Its a lot of money - that gets you no-where for a yacht that is valued at Stg1 (and as mentioned, frequently, will cost a lot of money to return to a sailaway condition (and importantly - will appeal to a wife (or girl friend).

Having said all that - where does a kid start who has an ambition to sail. Small yachts, like the J24 of 25 years ago, have disappeared and starter yachts, at boat shows (that will eventually filter down) now seem to be 30'-35'.

If you are the owner of a minder, and eventually buy the bigger yacht for which you have been minding the space or accept you are of sufficient seniority that you are never again going to sail your pride and joy - what do you do with the 50 year old floating reef?

Its all an increasing problem.

The answer is - you need to keep her in a sailaway condition in the first place - but that does not happen.

Jonathan
    Interesting as I can think of numerous places where you could dry out in the northern end of Moreton Bay and The Pumice Chanel up to Caulundra QLD but whether its allowed I guess is another matter.Pictures my daughter just sent of the area just on the NSW/Queensland Border also seems to have plenty of drying out spots.Here in Scotland there is no problem and I guess in northern Queensland its the same.
    I am guessing in eastern Oz its the same as it is in the UK where on the south coast marinas and moorings cost a fortune and space is at a premium wheras up here there are no problems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast