Question ATA Carnet for Canary Islands?

My boat is in the Canary Islands. Iím travelling to the UK back to the Canaries by cargo ship. If I bought a new outboard and took it to the Canaries via cargo ship, would I need a ATA Carnet for Canary Islands to avoid paying duty and tax on it?
    www.Chasing-Contours.com - A circumnavigation by boat, bikes, climbing & paragliding

Default Re: ATA Carnet for Canary Islands?

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    My boat is in the Canary Islands. I’m travelling to the UK back to the Canaries by cargo ship. If I bought a new outboard and took it to the Canaries via cargo ship, would I need a ATA Carnet for Canary Islands to avoid paying duty and tax on it?
    Assuming that you are resident in the Canaries, then when you buy the engine from a vendor that does VAT reclaim, let the vendor know and they can fill out the necessary HMRC VAT reclaim form.

When you go through HMRC customs, upon proof of your Canarian residency, They will stamp the form which you then send back to the vendor. Upon receipt, they can refund the VAT amount back to your card.

Have done this for a watch in the last couple of months and this worked fine (I'm not UK resident and can prove it).

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    Assuming that you are resident in the Canaries, then when you buy the engine from a vendor that does VAT reclaim, let the vendor know and they can fill out the necessary HMRC VAT reclaim form.

When you go through HMRC customs, upon proof of your Canarian residency, They will stamp the form which you then send back to the vendor. Upon receipt, they can refund the VAT amount back to your card.

Have done this for a watch in the last couple of months and this worked fine (I'm not UK resident and can prove it).
    Not a resident. I sailed there from the UK last year.

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    Not a resident. I sailed there from the UK last year.
    When I lived abroad, non resident in the UK, I had to prove residency by showing my visa and residency card, to claim VAT back on stuff we bought in the UK on holidays. That was at an airport.

The question you need to answer, is why should you receive vat free goods? That is what they are checking, especially if you have a British passport.

Sorry, can't help with the specific question you ask.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984