Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whatís included in a sale!

Upon receiving an offer for a boat I understand the infantry logged on the sale details are included. However I have been told that any fuel on board at the time of the offer is also included, no more no less. As the potential buyer isnít aware of the quantity and I am talking in excess of 900 ltrs. what is your opinion?
    Not directly relevant, I understand a survey includes a lift out and bum scrub at a cost to the potential buyer as is the fuel consumed on a sea trial, does this have a bearing on the outcome? Thanks in advance Geoff.

Default Re: Whatís included in a sale!

AIUI though the boat is typically no longer in use once offer made and accepted ( sea trials excepted) so is this not an academic exercise?

As a purchaser i would assume that there would no serious further use of the boat by the existing owner once my offer has been accepted and that boat equipment would therefore remain on board unless specifically excluded - I would place Fuel into that category as it would surely be unreasonable to assume that the owner is going to transfer several hundred liters of fuel ( presumably red diesel) to suitable containers.

If it's an issue i would ensure that the particulars state roughly how much fuel is included based on what the fuel gauge / sight gauge is showing. Ultimatly though - there has to be some element of trust here or where do you stop. Is the owner going to drain the nearly new oil from the engine? take the filters / impellors etc.

If it is a significant concern and if you are going through a broker then I would seek agreement with them as to the amount of fuel included in the sale and define how the fuel volume is going to be measured (easy if there is a gauge). If buying privately then caveat emptor and assume the worst.
    Last edited by RivalRedwing; 22-09-19 at 14:49.

I really wouldn't upset a potential buyer by asking for money for fuel in the tank.If it was in there when viewed I would consider it part of the sale inventory.

If the buyer doesn't know how much is there then it's up to your conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by sunquest View Post
    Upon receiving an offer for a boat I understand the infantry logged on the sale details are included. However I have been told that any fuel on board at the time of the offer is also included, no more no less. As the potential buyer isn’t aware of the quantity and I am talking in excess of 900 ltrs. what is your opinion?
    Not directly relevant, I understand a survey includes a lift out and bum scrub at a cost to the potential buyer as is the fuel consumed on a sea trial, does this have a bearing on the outcome? Thanks in advance Geoff.
    I'd take it, not often you get a boat that comes with infantry up for sale! (I assume autocorrect?)

Personally, he's including it simply because he can't be bothered to take it out. Any fuel that is consumed won't be replaced.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

A boat with a 900 litre tank isnít going to be a cheap one, so the value of the volume of fuel included is going to be a vanishingly small % of the overall price. Iíd not loose any sleep over the fuel included in the sale unless thereís other factors driving concerns about the overall deal.

The costs involved in the survey are all down to the buyer. Thatíd include moving the boat to lift out location, lifting and relaunching. No scrub unless the buyer chooses to have a pressure wash down or the surveyor recommends it to enable a full inspection of a fouled hull and stern gear.
    Last edited by duncan99210; 22-09-19 at 14:45.

Potential buyer would be silly not to pay for a scrub/jetwash of the bottom unless it's immediately obvious he won't be buying.

I have been told that any fuel on board at the time of the offer is also included, no more no less. As the potential buyer isnít aware of the quantity and I am talking in excess of 900 ltrs. what is your opinion?
    Sea trial fuel consumed would usually be at your cost as the vendor.
    Nor would a buyer usually expect to have full fuel tanks at handover.

Upon receiving an offer for a boat I understand the infantry logged on the sale details are included.
    I believe that any infantry supplied with the boat are, technically, "marines".
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Just make sure you "polish" any fuel before use.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast