Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

Default How much would you expect to pay for a lunch stop in a marina?

So last week, we were having a cracking good sail, probably the best of the season. And where we ended up we passed by a marina (I won't say which one but you might work it out) and decided to call in for a short stop to drink our tea and eat our lunch. We thought it would make a change from eating on the go or dropping the hook.

We called the marina on the VHF and told them out intentions and they invited us onto a visitor berth.

A short while later the marina operative made his way to see us, handed us the marina's brochure, then proceeded to say "short term rates start at £17.50"

We were both gobsmacked and sat there in stunned silence. To say that was not in line with our expectations for a lunch stop was an understatement.

After an awkward silence, he said "you are not stopping long so I won't charge you on this occasion" So this time we got a free lunch stop, but won't expect to be going back at least not for a lunch stop.

I feel they have missed a trick and had they said £5 for a daytime stop, we would have paid and likely used it again.

I just wondered what other places charge for that?

Default Re: How much would you expect to pay for a lunch stop in a marina?

I pay £10.00 in the Solent; mainly Cowes and Yarmouth. The Hamble Harbour pontoons at Warsash are around the same. At £17.50, I'd be tempted t anchor off in Loch Ness and pump up the dinghy for a lunch trip ashore.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    I pay £10.00 in the Solent; mainly Cowes and Yarmouth. The Hamble Harbour pontoons at Warsash are around the same. At £17.50, I'd be tempted t anchor off in Loch Ness and pump up the dinghy for a lunch trip ashore.
    I must edit my profile, our boat is back on salt water.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

£12 to £15.... I do get the feeling recently that quite a few marinas don't want the hassle of short stay boats?

We've had a couple of lunch stops in marinas in Croatia in our early years of sailing there and quickly learned that 50% of the full rate is normal. For a 40 foot boat that's going to be around £40 - £50 .... plus the cost of the lunch.

Richard

I have been charged £22 for a lunch stop on a waiting pontoon outside a marina. But seeing as you're not naming names neither am I. 😁

If you pit stop for lunch at the reception dock in Puerto Calero Lanzarote a couple of hours are entirely free.

There is a community owned pier half a mile away. They make no charge. I think we will go there next time.

A common problem in Brittany is little motor boats that are out for the day and stop in marina visitor berths all afternoon while their elderly owners toddle ashore for a leisurely lunch, then return and have a snooze until it's time to return home for dinner. They pay nothing and prevent the berths they occupy bring used by genuine cruisers who are willing to pay.

Charging a substantial fee, or even a full 24 hour fee would curb this nuisance
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    There is a community owned pier half a mile away. They make no charge. I think we will go there next time.
    Findhorn then ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast