Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Dropping the foot

Been advised by a chap who has dropped numerous that I remove the cowls under the engine block and place timber at top and bottom (at the lower foot unit) on each side and use two car jacks to 'jack' the lower foot unit off.

Trying to design a clamp for the lower foot unit.

Considering 2"x4" with 1/2" threaded rod, washers and nuts. Will post sketch.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 30-09-19 at 20:16.
    RELAX, Rum may not be the answer, but nor is water or juice. Now what is your Question?

Hope you can see what I am trying to accomplish.

foot 1.jpg
    Click on Pic for larger view.
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 30-09-19 at 20:28.
    RELAX, Rum may not be the answer, but nor is water or juice. Now what is your Question?

Must have been on a while, the modern 4 poppers tend to be worse with finer splines. Had a few like this, always good for bringing on a sweat. Try and open up a small gap by using rubber or hide mallet on the bullet, a screwdriver may be required too. Then try and drive some plastic wedges in, Google mould release wedges, fire it up and knock it in and out of gear to give the splines a rattle. Put a couple of bolts in loose so that if it goes with a bang then it won't drop off completely and mash the end of the splines. I find swearing helps

Quote Originally Posted by roy851 View Post
    Must have been on a while, the modern 4 poppers tend to be worse with finer splines. Had a few like this, always good for bringing on a sweat. Try and open up a small gap by using rubber or hide mallet on the bullet, a screwdriver may be required too. Then try and drive some plastic wedges in, Google mould release wedges, fire it up and knock it in and out of gear to give the splines a rattle. Put a couple of bolts in loose so that if it goes with a bang then it won't drop off completely and mash the end of the splines. I find swearing helps
    Yes about 11 years.

Thanks for the info re the mould wedges.

Bolts in loose is a good idea.

I have already commenced on the swearing input.

11 years 😨 thats gonna be a tough one, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by roy851 View Post
    11 years �� thats gonna be a tough one, good luck
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Hope you can see what I am trying to accomplish.

foot 1.jpg
    Click on Pic for larger view.
    Good idea imho if it's really well stuck, as it might well be @ 11 years. I'd prefer to use hydraulic jacks than screw type. Hydraulics are <$20 on eBay these days iirc

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Good idea imho if it's really well stuck, as it might well be @ 11 years. I'd prefer to use hydraulic jacks than screw type. Hydraulics are <$20 on eBay these days iirc
    It is REALLY WELL AND TRUELY STUCK

Set up timber framework using 1/2" (10mm) threaded rods to spread the topped bottom framework apart. These bowed.

Re set up timber framework using 3/4" (10mm) threaded rods to spread the topped bottom framework apart. The 2x4's (fairly short) are bending!!!

I am afraid to apply more force as it could pull the shaft out of the bearings and destroy the engine.

Contemplating:

Removing the engine.
    Drilling a hole +/- 1/4" into the leg. Check on an old wrecked engine where to drill.
    Turningthe engine upside down.
    Applying 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid (GREAT freeing up liquid* ) to the shaft through the 1/4" via a straw.
    Wait a day and reapply, repeat for several days, morning and night. - Acetone evaporates quickly.
    Retrying the timber framework
    IF the shaft comes out, replace the water pump impeller and reassemble.
    Filling hole with epoxy.

My (he who uses the boat most) son's suggestion is that ' I get two new engines'!!!!

OTHER HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS?

* I used the 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid to free up iron bolts in an old fourposter bed tha had not been moved for 60+ years. Worked a treat.
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 12-11-19 at 13:35.

A couple pics on current status:

85hp 1.jpg 85hp 2.jpg

CLICK on picture for larger view.

Can i presume that you have undone the gear shift (that i mentioned) it is located under the carb.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast