Default Roger Pilkington - Author

I‘be just read his book published in 1957 titled Ways of the sea. Best book on tides, beach formations, waves . A cracker.

Google shows a ton of books for small boats By him.

Anyone know this author and feels they are still relevant ?

Ta
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Default Re: Roger Pilkington - Author

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    I‘be just read his book published in 1957 titled Ways of the sea. Best book on tides, beach formations, waves . A cracker.

Google shows a ton of books for small boats By him.

Anyone know this author and feels they are still relevant ?

Ta
    I remember reading his books about 55 years ago! If my memory is correct a number were about early motor cruising voyages inland in UK and particularly in Europe.
    One that comes to mind involved demanding the right to voyage to Newbury on the very neglected Kennet and Avon waterway and the efforts of the BWB officials to dissuade him and his determination to maintain his right to use the navigation. In the end they had to facilitate the passage including digging out silted lock gates etc.

"The Chesterfield Gold", about a family whose yacht is used for smuggling without their knowledge, is a cracking good children's book.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    If my memory is correct a number were about early motor cruising voyages inland in UK and particularly in Europe.
    I've just spent a while searching for one of those. But I think I lent it to a sailing friend who lives in France and might have been interested in RP's observations on history and glass-making. IIRC he is related to the glass making family.

Mike.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

IIRC Roger Pilkington wrote " Small Boat Through Sweden " a tale of his families two season trip using the inland waterways of that country.

I have a copy and re-read it only recently.

A book well worth reading.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    I've just spent a while searching for one of those. But I think I lent it to a sailing friend who lives in France and might have been interested in RP's observations on history and glass-making. IIRC he is related to the glass making family.

Mike.
    Coincidently, my Father was Sales Director for a major London glass company, Aygee Glass and Glazing. He sold millions of square feet of Pilkington float glass to the building industry. First mate worked in Chancery Lane for Page, White and Farrer, Pilkingtons Patent Agent's.

Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    IIRC Roger Pilkington wrote " Small Boat Through Sweden " a tale of his families two season trip using the inland waterways of that country.

I have a copy and re-read it only recently.

A book well worth reading.
    Thanks for the recommendation - just bought a copy through Amazon and look forward to reading it. Also bought a copy of Small Boat to Elsinore.
    I love reading sailing cruise stories about waters I know, but about how they were many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Coincidently, my Father was Sales Director for a major London glass company, Aygee Glass and Glazing. He sold millions of square feet of Pilkington float glass to the building industry. First mate worked in Chancery Lane for Page, White and Farrer, Pilkingtons Patent Agent's.
    I had a friend at university who shared a house with the heir to the Pilkington fortune.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation - just bought a copy through Amazon and look forward to reading it. Also bought a copy of Small Boat to Elsinore.
    I love reading sailing cruise stories about waters I know, but about how they were many years ago.
    Enjoyed these books. Keeping the Small Boat Through Sweden volume, as relates to waters we sailed recently, but will probably eBay on the Small Boat to Elsinore book - unless anybody here wants it first