Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: what would you have donein this situation.

It's a good learning point for people who aren't used to the power of the wind increasing so rapidly as a squall approaches and goes through.

I'm not convinced by the pointing up comment from someone? Bearing away has a magical affect on apparent wind but might have made getting the Genoa down a bit harder if it wasn't sheltered by the main.

My main comment - they knew what to do - they were just a bit slow at doing it! Perhaps not very practiced and they lacked urgency.
    Last edited by john_morris_uk; 27-09-19 at 13:07. Reason: typo and clarification
    Semper aliud

To answer the posed question: I'd book myself a sailing/sail-handling lesson!

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    It's a good learning point for people who aren't used to the power of the wind increasing so rapidly as a squall approaches and goes through.

I'm not convinced by the pointing up comment from someone? Bearing away has a magical affect on apparent wind but might have made getting the Genoa down a bit harder if it wasn't sheltered by the main.

My main comment - they knew what to do - they were just a bit slow at doing it! Perhaps not very practiced and they lacked urgency.
    My heading up comment is about not breaking things and keeping control, at about a true wind angle of say 60 degrees you can keep the mainsail fairly depowered and still keep enough forward motion to keep good steerage / not flog the main too much / not put huge loads on rig etc. If you bear off you will reduce the apparent wind to 40 knots if your doing 10 knots boat speed, yes 40 knots apparent is better than 50 but it is still going to put massive loads on everything and there is a high chance of an accidental gybe which could mean ripping the main or losing the rig in those conditions. This is all assuming your racing and haven't dropped the mainsail - if I was cruising I would get the mainsail down, just leave a small bit of jib up and go downwind like you are suggesting.

Sure we could argue that the sails should have all been down, which the skipper should have done, and the foredeck crew didn't seem to have any real sense of urgency until it was too late.

Just an experience thing. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I'm sure next time they see a similar situation developing they'll handle it much better. Interesting video to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
    My heading up comment is about not breaking things and keeping control, at about a true wind angle of say 60 degrees you can keep the mainsail fairly depowered and still keep enough forward motion to keep good steerage / not flog the main too much / not put huge loads on rig etc. If you bear off you will reduce the apparent wind to 40 knots if your doing 10 knots boat speed, yes 40 knots apparent is better than 50 but it is still going to put massive loads on everything and there is a high chance of an accidental gybe which could mean ripping the main or losing the rig in those conditions. This is all assuming your racing and haven't dropped the mainsail - if I was cruising I would get the mainsail down, just leave a small bit of jib up and go downwind like you are suggesting.
    I agree with all of that. Good points well made.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    To answer the posed question: I'd book myself a sailing/sail-handling lesson!
    I did advanced dinghy, covers getting the spinnaker sorted whilst capsized
    Joking aside lucky not to have someone overboard and no L Js as others have pointed out. It did look like it was going to get very squally, the kite should have already been down and crew well into reefing the main and Genoa but easy to call from comfort of armchair.

Interesting to watch and fairplay to the skipper for being up for posting it

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
    I’ve no argument with any of that except I wasn’t advocating sailing downwind any where near enough to run any risk of an accidental gybe. A decent broad reach should be enough?
    Semper aliud

After the first one of those I went through I very quickly learnt that if there is the tiniest chance of getting whacked then drop the main immediately and broad reach off under headsail.

It has always worked for me.

They were running under spinnaker- Iíd not have fancied running with one of those up in anything approaching that level of squall. However, I donít have the Capíns experience or mileage, so Iím only offering what Iíd be comfortable doing.
    Given the circumstances, I think the right thing was done. Control was maintained and risk of damage to the boat minimized by spilling air from the main.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I was taught a lesson by a thundersquall long ago. I am not a racer. I dislike sails flogging and assuming there was sea room I would bear off to blanket the headsail and reduce the apparent wind, but I don’t see they did much wrong apart from not taking the thunderstorm seriously enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12