Default Waterproof through deck fitting recommended

I am very reticent about drilling holes in stern of my Seahawk to putin cableS for new Plotter and AIS , However needs to be done.What recommendations would group suggest , ie a cable for AIS antenna and GOS antenna
    Cheers
    Rich
    Price and retailer as well

Default Re: Waterproof through deck fitting recommended

Index glands are probably the standard, available in a range of sizes and also a 90º version where the cable comes out parallel to the surface, if that happens to be more useful for your application.

Prices and suppliers you can google as well as I can.

If the surface you're putting them on is not solid GRP but has a wood or foam core, be sure to seal the hole with epoxy or similar, to prevent water getting into the core either from the inside, or from the outside if the gland itself or its seal to the surface should ever fail one day. Rebedding a fitting like a gland is easy, rebuilding a rotted-out core is not.

Pete

Another one for Index. They have been around for years and for me work. I do use a smear of silicone grease on the rubber gland to them go together nicely.

https://www.indexmarine.com/products/waterproof-glands/

+1 for the Index gland

But, what GPS are you fitting, most modern ones do not need to be outside.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Thanks everyone.The through deck balsa core issue was something I was bothered about as my previous boat incurred that problem...nasty.....
    Yes I had thought response would be index .Thought there May have been some “new fangled gadget “ about because Index have been around for years.
    The Plotter/transponder is an ONWA ... seemed to have reasonable reviews and a lot for the money.I thought mmm cheap Chinese Copy ..but what isn’t made in China these days ��..once again thanks for responses
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterose View Post
    Thanks everyone.The through deck balsa core issue was something I was bothered about as my previous boat incurred that problem...nasty.....
    Yes I had thought response would be index .Thought there May have been some “new fangled gadget “ about because Index have been around for years.
    The Plotter/transponder is an ONWA ... seemed to have reasonable reviews and a lot for the money.I thought mmm cheap Chinese Copy ..but what isn’t made in China these days ��..once again thanks for responses
    Rich
    If you need (for instance) a 10mm hole through a cored deck, drill a 14mm hole and fill it with epoxy. When it's dry drill the 10mm hole.

I would try the GPS receiver inside the boat, somewhere just below the deckhead is usually fine. Most new plotters have internal GPS, which work fine below decks, Garmin external GPS receivers come with brackets for internal fitting, phones and tablets all work below decks.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

I've used the index marine glands and they're excellent quality. I've also used standard PVC glands like this where the thickness of the deck permits. They are also rated IP 68 and cheap as chips. https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...YaAiTDEALw_wcB

+1 for index, and a bit of bathroom gloop to make sure

Have them on the stern of our Seahawk - done a great job for several >5 years
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

I don't like too much 'bathroom gloop" and prefer to rely on compression of gaskets for sealing - much less mess.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    I don't like too much 'bathroom gloop" and prefer to rely on compression of gaskets for sealing - much less mess.
    Agree - and having inherited the leaky, messy, and un-re-coatable results of a previous owner's love of "bathroom gloop", where sealant is required I would use something more technical than Wilko silicone.

Pete