Default DIY Gear-Oil Pump (For Outdrive) - With Pics!

I started a thread before asking about a gear-oil pump, as the smaller ones, while convenient, are messy. As you know, with Volvo Out-drives, you fill (most) of them from the fill plug at the top.

This is the end result:

What you need...
    1 x 5l Garden Sprayer

Remove the black hose supplied, by loosening the green connector and remove everything (including the internal pipe) - Do not lose the o-ring in there!

Now, get yourself (in my case 2 metres) 10mm (outer) x 8mm (inner) clear acrylic tubing

With the green connector still removed, insert the tube to the bottom, and mark with a marker.
    Remove the tube and put plenty of PTFE tape 10mm either side of the mark.
    Re-insert into the green tube, insert the O-Ring and tighten the green connector.

Finally, in my case for a DP-G (KAD300), purchase one of these cheap pumps for smaller out-boards. Remove the grey adapter at the end and attach to the end of the clear tubing. This screws directly into the KAD300 filler plug and the majority of outboards / alpha drives (You can just hold the tube to the filler hole or make up a threaded adapter for DP290 drives).

And for about £20, you have yourself a DIY gear oil pump that has the capacity to fill an out-drive (3.15l in the case of a DP-G) in one go.... no more messing about with small bottles etc...

Hopefully this is useful for others in future.

PS. Don't be tempted to use the black tube / hose that comes with the sprayer. The adapter (inside the green connector) that comes with it is TINY, you'll be all day trying to pump gear-oil through it. With the method I mentioned above, the tube is 8mm inner, so while it won't be lightening fast, it'll me convenient and not messy.

Before anyone asks "Why don't you just use the handy little pump you mentioned above" - I purchase my oil in 20l lots, so to use this pump (which I have done in the past), means constantly filling a jug (about 1l at a time) which is very messy. Also, each 'pump' offers you, I guess, 40ml.... that's a lot of pumps to fill 3.15l!
    Last edited by alt; 25-09-19 at 14:23.

Default Re: DIY Gear-Oil Pump (For Outdrive) - With Pics!

Totally agree these are a total pain to fill with oil and very messy too.
    I admire your ingenuity but maybe just be careful you don’t pressurise the gearbox I’d say.

Im not a volvo owner but I'm curious when you say the drive is filled from the top? My mercs & all the outboards I've had are filled from the bottom.
    The reason being to remove any airlocks are volvos so different that they are filled top to bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Im not a volvo owner but I'm curious when you say the drive is filled from the top? My mercs & all the outboards I've had are filled from the bottom.
    The reason being to remove any airlocks are volvos so different that they are filled top to bottom?
    Good question. I filled from the bottom with a pump last season. Strange thing was is the oil kept rising after I stopped pumping and I had to let some out. I cant figure that one out but it's got me curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    I believe the preferred technique is to fill the drive from the bottom.
    However if the oil is measured at the correct volume and filled from the plug behind the cover near the top it amounts to the same thing . Then the oil level can be checked using the dipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I believe the preferred technique is to fill the drive from the bottom.
    However if the oil is measured at the correct volume and filled from the plug behind the cover near the top it amounts to the same thing . Then the oil level can be checked using the dipstick.
    I've tried that too. Frankly it's worse. Fill it up. Come back the next morning and the level is completely different. Maybe my drives are special. Mars delivery or something. But compared to mercruiser and OB oil fills these are a right PITA.

Hi
    Vp are filled from the top. Merc from the bottom.
    There is a difference in the form of the gearcase. Have a google.
    The vp gearcase is an open section. The merc has an area that can air lock if filled from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Hi
    Vp are filled from the top. Merc from the bottom.
    There is a difference in the form of the gearcase. Have a google.
    The vp gearcase is an open section. The merc has an area that can air lock if filled from the top.
    Interesting - advice from various engineers has always been fill from the bottom to avoid air locks. Had ours done by professionals pre-season and they were done from the bottom - DP-E drives.

Perhaps it is the preferred way by ‘those that know’ as opposed to what is written in a manual? Not that I have checked the manual....

Never had a problem with my DP-E drives.
    Fill from the top using a funnel and piece of hose.
    Each takes 2.7 L to fill.
    Technique was to fill with 2.6L then turn the shafts by hand to allow any air bubbles to release and allow the oil to settle for a couple of mins.
    Check the level via the dipstick and add as needed. Beware that between min and max on the dipstick is only about 50cc (not a lot)
    Hope i'm not treading on VP's toes with this.
    gizmo.jpg

As has been mentioned already, the DP-G (And some other Volvo units) are filled from the filler on top (not the dip-stick), rather than the Mercruiser drives which are filled from the bottom.

A very good point raised here; when you're filling up, walk away for 30 mins and come back to check the level. Volvo drives seem to keep filling after your stop filling! In my case, the drive takes 3.15 litres. So, I fill with 3 litres and head off for a walk. Come back and top-up in 50ml blasts.... usually gets a good result.