Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Foredeck / Bow riding

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I was going to say "except Porto" but that would have given it away too!
    And I was gonna say “ can’t possibly comment “ but equally that would have given it away .
    So after consideration ...... just blurted it out .

It’s such a great place to be when underway at slow speeds.
    Only in calm conditions and at slow speed.
    I actually worry more about people moving to and from the foredeck.
    I had 14 onboard one day over the summer (many teenagers) and despite warnings they seemed to be moving around constantly (normally with phone attached) a stressful short trip.

On the Mar Menor the Spanish boats are quite astonishing, often see 20+ footers with 1/2 a dozen kids sitting along the rails both on and off the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by NGM View Post
    It’s such a great place to be when underway at slow speeds.
    Only in calm conditions and at slow speed.
    I actually worry more about people moving to and from the foredeck.
    I had 14 onboard one day over the summer (many teenagers) and despite warnings they seemed to be moving around constantly (normally with phone attached) a stressful short trip.

On the Mar Menor the Spanish boats are quite astonishing, often see 20+ footers with 1/2 a dozen kids sitting along the rails both on and off the plane.
    I suppose if teenagers can successfully navigate across the busy roads and pavements of central London whilst never looking up from their smart phones, then a boat would not seem such a hazard
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    I think you would get blown off or loose your grip anyhow , rails or no rails
    Losing the grip is only a problem if you need a grip, to start with.
    I agree that it ain't so much a matter of rails, but rather of cruising with a properly seaworthy vessel - see below.

Nowadays, I would have zero problems to cruise in the same conditions at 25kts, but I wouldn't allow anyone to stay there.
    Not only with mine, but also any other P boats, for that matter.
    Itamas included, obviously, whose foredeck is unsafe at any speed, if I can steal an old cliché

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    I've always been a little cautious of letting crew ride on the foredeck whilst underway. However, I had to ask SWMBO to do this recently as I realised I hadn't done up one of the zips securing the cushions down. Of course, she's got the taste for it now and thinks it's great.

I know the Spanish lifeboat service warn people of the dangers of doing this but is it really that dangerous on a 34ft boat with a good size foredeck and hand rails? Do you guys allow people to ride on the bows in calm weather or never at all?
    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/101...isle-of-wight/

Bow riding in a RIB

Yes, in calm conditions and at minimum planing speeds or slower, typically for a few minutes crossing Osborne Bay.
    Adults or teenagers only, with suitably graphic warnings issued beforehand.
    The deck is very flat, there are good handholds and guard rails.
    With the previous boat, it was a definite no.

It’s not entirely safe, but neither is wingsuit flying, nor is doing 14kts in a small tender.

Last edited by FlowerPower; 25-09-19 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    You have no rails !
    I know it's a serious topic...but this made me smile.

The thought of nails and blackboards (sorry, chalkboards)and school etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Can I be controversial for the moment
    Say you are on the foredeck, and the boat hits a bow wave and you are tossed into the sea. You are young and you have the presence of mind to realize that a propeller is coming you way. You dive deep. Then your life jacket pops you back to the surface in time for the prop to slice your legs off
    Did I just make all that up, or is it a possible scenario?
    A few years ago we were sailing south from Daytona, Florida in the ICW late on a Sunday afternoon just as the Daytona base day/weekend boaters were heading home. The number of motorboats made the Hamble-scramble look quiet, two and even three abreast at perhaps 30-50m intervals with nothing doing <10-15 knots and many doing twice that. Rough as boots from all the wash and scary enough in itself to a slow speed yachty, but perhaps 30% of the boats had people (mainly kids) 'bow riding', even scarier, were the perhaps 5-10% of boats which were pulling inflatable ringos, bananas, etc. with their kids riding on them within the manic traffic stream.
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

All the time, without lifejackets, at P speeds. If weather worsens people tend to retire from the foredeck before the weather gets dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    Yes, in calm conditions and at minimum planing speeds or slower, typically for a few minutes crossing Osborne Bay.
    Adults or teenagers only, with suitably graphic warnings issued beforehand.
    The deck is very flat, there are good handholds and guard rails.
    With the previous boat, it was a definite no.

It’s not entirely safe, but neither is wingsuit flying, nor is doing 14kts in a small tender.

I think this is where I am. On flat days where the vertical bow movement is minimal or non existent this feels low risk even at planing speeds. As you say, they have to be sitting or lying down and not messing about.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast