Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Foredeck / Bow riding

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    I've always been a little cautious of letting crew ride on the foredeck whilst underway. However, I had to ask SWMBO to do this recently as I realised I hadn't done up one of the zips securing the cushions down. Of course, she's got the taste for it now and thinks it's great.

I know the Spanish lifeboat service warn people of the dangers of doing this but is it really that dangerous on a 34ft boat with a good size foredeck and hand rails? Do you guys allow people to ride on the bows in calm weather or never at all?
    Hi, you bring a serious subect to the forum. My answer would be an abolute 'no, no'. Why? Just imagine the person slipping through the railings. What would happen? They'd go straight under the hull and be made mince meat by the props.

When I used to take pics for MBM cruises in company, it was an unwritten rule not to photograph a boat with anyone riding the foredeack. In the same way, no photographs of boats with anyone out of the cabin not wearing a lifejacket.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

I think the chopping up thing by Med ( un life jacked generally ) even @ D for sports cruisers is risky as maybe the slow speed lulls folks into a false sense of security. Don’t know ?
    Obviously each to there own but with guests on board unfamiliar with boating I always have there safety in mind .
    In a boat with deep bulwarks and @ D like JFM ,s then maybe .

Not convinced about little sports cruisers , because if it’s busy you might want to speed up or a bigger boats wake ( if passing it behind ) might roll you at D as well and catch the fwd lounger out .

This would be madness a person sat on the front , hence NEVER for my particular circumstances.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bHRxWnk7yT4

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    There is managing risk and then there is scared of living. Personally I think many water toys pose a far greater risk but the perception of risk gets placed into silos. So we tend to be ultra cautious on a boat as opposed to a more relaxed approach to water toy. I seriously don't consider having my kids tethered to the deck at displacement speeds any riskier and far less so than getting them on the foredeck in the first place and that even less than allowing them to swim and play on water toys.
    Of course honing about in choppy or busy waters, balls to the wall is a completely different matter.
    A very sensible post. It’s like the life jacket evangelists who insist on wearing a lifjacket on the boat and criticise everyone who doesn’t. Actually they’d be safer taking the life jacket off when they got on the boat if they kept them in the car. Consider every situation and decide.

To the OP. Pete yes I allow it when I think it’s safe enough. That includes at planing speeds sometimes.

And by the by I reckon it would completely impossible to contact the props if you fall off if the boat is going in a straight ish line.

By the way 2. What problem are we trying to fix here. I see people on the foredeck all the time and have only ever heard of problems in small sporty boats.
    Last edited by Elessar; 26-09-19 at 08:02.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    All the time, without lifejackets, at P speeds. If weather worsens people tend to retire from the foredeck before the weather gets dangerous.
    Exactly the same for me. Life jackets are accessible but no one has ever worn one.

@porto, what happened to that Vimeo vid of the Itama taking from a drone with the young ladies on the bow cushions? Seems to have disappeared. Did you download a copy?

Seems to have disappeared.
    Do you mean the ladies or the video?

A good friend of mine was sitting on the bow of 40 ft planing boat, around 30 years ago.

He fell over the front, went under and the props took a 7cm chunk of skull off and very nearly severed one of his arms. He lived to tell the tale but has a 'soft' spot on his skull to this day which poses an continued risk to him.

I didn't know him at the time but I understand he was at the very front as opposed to the cabin top or on sunpads.

My point is, I wouldn't be so sure that the boat would 'push you aside' if you went over board....

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    This would be madness a person sat on the front , hence NEVER for my particular circumstances.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bHRxWnk7yT4
    Agreed - even if in that video the waves are nowhere near as high as in my post #24.
    The trouble with P speed is that the movements are much more hectic, and as a result, just hitting an irregular navigation wake can be enough to be thrown around. High bulwarks are likely to avoid a tragic outcome, which is good, but I wouldn't like to bang my head against them anyhow....

@porto, what happened to that Vimeo vid of the Itama taking from a drone with the young ladies on the bow cushions? Seems to have disappeared. Did you download a copy?
    The vids gone .Pity.
    I vaguely recall they were on the rear sun pad , but could be mistaken ? ?
    I remember in one shot the helmsman on the L of field and the ladies on the R of shot behind him ? Camera person on the bathing platform kneeling to get a low ( none theses days PC ) angle .
    You can’t really fall of that due to the glass at the side .Beside if you did by the time you hit the sea the boats 10 M up the road You won’t come in contact with the mincer blades .

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    High bulwarks are likely to avoid a tragic outcome, which is good, but I wouldn't like to bang my head against them anyhow....
    Yes I haven’t considered that , cracking your nut or other fractured bone from falling off the fwd pad on a large FB and coming in contact with a bulwark , particularly if the surfaces are slippery from any spray when it’s windy .
    I think those in the NO camp are worried about being somehow being sucked under the props after falling off sports cruisers .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast