Thread: Vektron/Vectron

Default Vektron/Vectron

I am wanting to replace the 135% Genoa on my Dufour and have various SIBS quotes. I am tempted by Vektron 073 but slightly concerned by Vektron’s handleability - an issue that was raised on this forum a couple of years ago.

In as much as it will be on a furler it won’t really be handled but it will catch the guardrails and shrouds (though this can presumably be alleviated by simply fitting sail guard wheels).

Portland Premium 7.5 (310) is the alternative option.

Default Re: Vektron/Vectron

Ian
    I replaced my genoa (135%) and main last year with cross cut Vectron (36ft S&S sloop).
    The sails have performed very well this year and I feel the choice was good.
    The fabric is relatively stiff and slippery compared to the North laminate I had before but on the furler it is absolutely fine - while it was a bit bulky to start it now rolls and sets perfectly.
    The main is slab reefing from the mast and the new sail is slightly more difficult to handle but isn't a problem - I suspect I'm noticing the difference between a new sail and a 10 year old one !!
    I've just removed the sails for the winter and they where a bit of a handful but again that's partly just because they are new.
    No regrets at all so far.
    Martin

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

I have had my Vectron sails from Kemp for 3 years now on my Fulmar. The cloth is slightly stiffer than Dacron, but holds its shape far better. The genoa furls well and the mainsail is fully battened.

If you are buying new sails, then check how the sacrificial strip on the genoa is made. Cheaper sail makers use a 4 cloth leach and foot, which is far more expensive to have replaced as the leech and foot have to be completely remade. You should go for a 6 cloth as this only requires the sacrificial to be replaced. It works out cheaper in the long run.

Definitely choose the Vectron, you will be very pleased.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

I bought a Vektron furling main from Crusader in 2016 and am still happy with it. It is quite stiff as others have said but works really well as a furling main. The lighter weight and "more slippery" feel help it furl very easily. It is a bit more difficult to handle when packing away at the end of the season but not a big deal. I imagine a Vektron genoa will perform well and furl tidily.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

My Vectran main and genoa (now renamed Vektron for copyright reasons) were purchased in March 2000. Both are cross-cut, made in 6 oz cloth. Since purchase they have sailed many thousands of miles and as far as I can see have not changed shape in the slightest. They are still relatively stiff to handle, not a problem with a furling genoa although the mainsail was always somewhat difficult with lazy jacks but is now greatly improved with a stack pack.

The only problem with them is that the cloth is are so long-lived that some restitching has been necessary several times. The UV strip was replaced entirely some years ago, batten pocket ends were done last year. The genoa stitching has now almost failed, the sail being held together by the glue. A good problem to have.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    My Vectran main and genoa (now renamed Vektron for copyright reasons) were purchased in March 2000. Both are cross-cut, made in 6 oz cloth. Since purchase they have sailed many thousands of miles and as far as I can see have not changed shape in the slightest. They are still relatively stiff to handle, not a problem with a furling genoa although the mainsail was always somewhat difficult with lazy jacks but is now greatly improved with a stack pack.

The only problem with them is that the cloth is are so long-lived that some restitching has been necessary several times. The UV strip was replaced entirely some years ago, batten pocket ends were done last year. The genoa stitching has now almost failed, the sail being held together by the glue. A good problem to have.
    That's good to hear Vyv. I thought that my 3 year old main still looked very flat and showed no signs of wear. I assumed it was rose-tinted specs. and I had just "adjusted" my view of the sail.

That’s all very reassuring. The plan is to upgrade the genoa this year and get a Vektron main next. The existing sails are the production sails that came with the boat and there has been a steady deterioration in her ability to point. Hopefully, I will see a big improvement next season.. Thanks everybody.
    Last edited by Ian_Rob; 27-09-19 at 02:32. Reason: Additional comments added