Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Force 10 forecast - lets go sailing!

Guy's proper nuts!

Anyone here even consider doing that?

Default Re: Force 10 forecast - lets go sailing!

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Guy's proper nuts!

Anyone here even consider doing that?

I have a lot of respect for Erik.
    With no desire to copy him.
    I worked most of 38 years in and around the Northern North Sea and know it is not a great place for yachts. Crossed 3 times up there. Often ugly in the good times - Erik shows you some of the others.

Rovaer is lovely - Utsira nearby is also superb !

Certainly a bit nuts to go out into a Force 10 forecast in a small boat, particularly onto a rocky lee shore.

But also noticed that he had the hatch fully open and no hatch boards in. And no solid water over the deck. And no harnesses needed,

That seems very different from Fastnet 79 where boats had to have hatches fully closed, and suffered severe flooding when hatch boards were lost in knock downs. Crew being washed out by waves across the decks, mostly saved by their harnesses being clipped on the entire time.
    Also, in the only full Force 10 I have experienced, we had solid water going clean over the coachroof in a 72 footer, and that was in sheltered waters of the Clyde.

Seems odd that in the video there was absolutely no breaking waves across the boat?

I've been waiting for this video. Thank you!

As for the lack of breaking waves, could the point of sail have had something to do with that? He was sailing primarily away from the waves. (Actually a question because I have no clue).
    Last edited by Luminescent; 27-09-19 at 22:22.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Certainly a bit nuts to go out into a Force 10 forecast in a small boat, particularly onto a rocky lee shore.

But also noticed that he had the hatch fully open and no hatch boards in. And no solid water over the deck. And no harnesses needed,

That seems very different from Fastnet 79 where boats had to have hatches fully closed, and suffered severe flooding when hatch boards were lost in knock downs. Crew being washed out by waves across the decks, mostly saved by their harnesses being clipped on the entire time.
    Also, in the only full Force 10 I have experienced, we had solid water going clean over the coachroof in a 72 footer, and that was in sheltered waters of the Clyde.

Seems odd that in the video there was absolutely no breaking waves across the boat?
    I think he carefully planned a down weather F10 run for the thrill, rather than being caught out. But you do raise good questions.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

I registered to comment on this thread. Erik lives in the same county in Norway as I do, I live a good bit further south though ( not too far from Egersund for those of you who have sailed in Norway).

The conditions were indeed as described in the video. If you pay attention to the video you will see that he sailed west first to Røvær before the storm, that was approaching from the west. Then he basically surfed home east to Haugesund. That is why you see no breaking waves over the boat etc.

I don't know Erik, but the community is so small that if he was a blaggard, it would be known a long time ago. In these parts a good reputation, and your good word is everything. Much more important than your wallet.

Finally, at the same day another guy went out in his sailing boat. When he returned, after losing his engine, the police and the fire department was waiting. If you use Google translate you can read it here
    https://baatplassen.no/i/topic/150946-er-jeg-uaktsom/

He was criticized for taking too much risk, although he was in much more sheltered waters than Erik.

Erik seems legit to me, and the weather was awful on the day That I can attest to.

Crazy, but brilliant as always
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Great video, thanks Erik.

Contessa 32 I think. Great boat.
    Interesting observations, no storm jib, just a scrap of rolled out jib. Although he didn’t put any main up it looked as though he had ‘at the mast slab reefing’, though I’m not sure what all these winches are for either side of the coachroof.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    But also noticed that he had the hatch fully open and no hatch boards in. And no solid water over the deck. And no harnesses needed,....

I guess F10 is just a label and depending on duration, fetch, cross currents, opposing wave trains, etc. I can certainly think of some super-fun F10 open sleigh rides and also some truly nasty F8s.

Subject to those caveats, I think you’re right, those images really doesn’t represent an open-ocean F10 or the seas associated with the passing front. As for being downhill, true, but as you suggest one often gets errant waves over the quarter and, when welcomed aboard by an open hatchway, many greenies will happily make themselves at home down below !

Edit: personally I found his derring-do voiceover a bit childish and ‘mediaee’, most definitely not great seamanship IMHO.
    Last edited by dom; 28-09-19 at 08:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
    Great video, thanks Erik.

Contessa 32 I think. Great boat.
    Interesting observations, no storm jib, just a scrap of rolled out jib. Although he didn’t put any main up it looked as though he had ‘at the mast slab reefing’, though I’m not sure what all these winches are for either side of the coachroof.
    It’s a contessa 35 not a 32, different designer (Doug Peterson) but still a tough seaworthy boat

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast