Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Force 10 forecast - lets go sailing!

Couple of points i would make.
    i crossed the dover straits from boulogne to Ramsgate in the last couple of days and that was F8 & more than enough for me in a 31 ft boat.
    I notice that he used his auto pilot and it worked well, or seemed to. I could not trust my raymarine AV100 untill past south foreland and in the lea of the land.
    he did not even have the vane set in his Hydrovane wind steering so obviously had no intention of using it. I used my aeries and it worked. Albeit with difficulty as the boat was being slung all over the place. Ii struggled to even hand steer. It was made worse by both Cap Griz Nez cg and Dover cg insisting that I cross the shipping lane in accordance with the colregs. Cap griz nex gave me quite a lecture. That gave me a close beam reach as the wind moved a bit to the west for a while from the sw, which it has been blowing.
    i wonder if a Hydrovane would have worked because setting the rudder to one position in the first instance would have been difficult. Perhaps that is why it was not even considered.

As for sailing in heavy weather- i was sheltering in Peterhead when a guy came in in a beneteau 35 ft. He had sailed through the Pentland Firth in F10 ( confirmed by an oilrig supply vessel) and had actually cat napped on the way because he was able to rely on his autopilot ( forgot to ask the make but not Raymarine) he moored up, went to sleep for 12 hours, then left for the Netherlands and it was still blowing F8 and did so for the next day.
    It is almost unbelievable that such small boats can actually survive those conditions, let alone the crew
    But if Rustler 36s can girdle the world!!( well some of them)
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 28-09-19 at 08:35.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Couple of points i would make.
    i crossed the dover straits from boulogne to Ramsgate in the last couple of days and that was F8 & more than enough for me in a 31 ft boat.
    I notice that he used his auto pilot and it worked well, or seemed to. I could not trust my raymarine AV100 untill past south foreland and in the lea of the land.
    he did not even have the vane set in his Hydrovane wind steering so obviously had no intention of using it. I used my aeries and it worked. Albeit with difficulty as the boat was being slung all over the place. Ii struggled to even hand steer. It was made worse by both Cap Griz Nez cg and Dover cg insisting that I cross the shipping lane in accordance with the colregs. Cap griz nex gave me quite a lecture. That gave me a close beam reach as the wind moved a bit to the west for a while from the sw, which it has been blowing.
    i wonder if a Hydrovane would have worked because setting the rudder to one position in the first instance would have been difficult. Perhaps that is why it was not even considered.

As for sailing in heavy weather- i was sheltering in Peterhead when a guy came in in a beneteau 35 ft. He had sailed through the Pentland Firth in F10 ( confirmed by an oilrig supply vessel) and had actually cat napped on the way because he was able to rely on his autopilot ( forgot to ask the make but not Raymarine) he moored up, went to sleep for 12 hours, then left for the Netherlands and it was still blowing F8 and did so for the next day.
    It is almost unbelievable that such small boats can actually survive those conditions, let alone the crew
    But if Rustler 36s can girdle the world!!( well some of them)
    I have to say that all the talk about F10 is slightly meaningless, IMHO.
    Having been out in that stuff a few times, its not the wind that is a problem, its the sea state. The channel is always brutal because of the tides. A few hours of wind over tide all changes with the tide. Offshore
    a ten be a horror if the waves are crossing each other but if spaced and orderly its actually quite fun, even if one is going uphill.
    In this video I would have had no problem doing it with a heavy weather/storm jib but with his furled genoa, wow! WTF would have happened had the furling line gone? Barely merits thinking about.
    Real men do it two handed

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

The roughest weather I have been in was earlier this year when we set out in a forecast F4 that turned out to be F6 gusting F7. And we were in a much smaller boat.

And where we were the waves were not as high as that, but very short and very steep, stopping the boat dead each time you hit a wave and it was a very wet and rough ride.

On that occasion 2 other boats out suffered torn sails, and a third lost a window to a breaking wave. We were congratulated by the other crews for getting back to the harbour with no damage.

I think another point that people tend to miss is that a 35kt gust is not a gale. A gale is when the winds are consistently over 34 kts and up to 40 kts. In that situation one could sometimes expect gusts of 45 kts ( which is not by themselves f9)
    There is a massive difference between gusts and consistent winds
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
    Great video, thanks Erik.

Contessa 32 I think. Great boat.
    Interesting observations, no storm jib, just a scrap of rolled out jib. Although he didn’t put any main up it looked as though he had ‘at the mast slab reefing’, though I’m not sure what all these winches are for either side of the coachroof.
    I noticed he didn't reef his ensign either. Brave guy
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Was delivering a Fontain Pajot Lavezzi (40 foot) eastwards across the Atlantic some years ago. We had a couple of days of 50 plus knot winds west of the Azores. Very noisy but the boat and crew coped well.

Howver, I got the chance to use a line Id been saving for ages.

Crew 'How often do these things turn over?'

Me 'Just the once.'

Fantastic video and great opportunity to see someone who knows their boat and capabilities play with the “envelope” of what they will sail in.

But it was only a few miles, down wind In familiar waters and after a good rest. He give himself an uncomfortable moment too shooting the gap between skerries. Had things gone wrong, dealing with it single handed without searoom would have been properly character forming (for him or the rescue services or both). But good on him. He went into marginal weather in a controlled manner and shared his experience with us.

I can see where the guy is coming from, he had calculated the risk on a down wind passage in known (to him) waters.
    After I had installed an inner forestay and bought a used hank on foresail which I had recut to a Yankee and tested it in 'normal' conditions I wanted to try it with stronger winds so when there was a SW 6 gusting 7 I went out from Poole under Yankee and mizzen to see how it performed.
    I now know that when beating the angle of heel is just about manageable but for only a short period and on gusts the boat luffs up, it doesn't luff on a close reach and is quite comfortable on a broad reach.
    Job done, I don't need to deliberately do it again
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Was interesting that he didn't opt for any orange sails

Wonder what would cause him to dig them out (assuming he carries them!)

Quote Originally Posted by glynd View Post
    Was interesting that he didn't opt for any orange sails

Wonder what would cause him to dig them out (assuming he carries them!)
    The guy is a certified nut, I'm pretty sure he considers a hurricane to be a slight breeze...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast