Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Force 10 forecast - lets go sailing!

The wave height in a force 10 is 9 to 12.5m the waves look nothng like that.

It's not the swell/waves that kill you; it's the wave/swell with a breaking crest.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    The wave height in a force 10 is 9 to 12.5m the waves look nothng like that.
    That may depend entirely on the speed and direction of the current and in that area I'm pretty sure he chose to run on a west to east (westerly?) current. The wind forecast went into the same direction, this may ameliorate the height of the waves creating the smoother seas seen. (As well as the obligatory camera making everything look flatter...)

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Certainly not a force 10 in my experience. I think he got carried away by a few big gusts.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    As for the lack of breaking waves, could the point of sail have had something to do with that? He was sailing primarily away from the waves. (Actually a question because I have no clue).
    It certainly helps make the case for continuing to sail downwind, rather than heave to or slow down, IF got lots of searoom (or able to get into sheltered water before approaching harbour, as in this case).

But I am still amazed that in a full Force 10 one could sail with hatches wide open and no need for lifelines. Cross waves tend to break into the cockpit, and/or the nose diving into the back of a wave sending solid water back. Particularly if the boat is a submarine type as some have suggested.
    Plus I would have imagined that in F10 you would be sailing fast under bare poles (people often start to consider ropes to slow down in these conditions, which had mixed results to say the least in GGR), rather than part reefed genoa.

Certainly a fun ride by an experienced sailor, but doesn’t feel like a representative full Force 10.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    It certainly helps make the case for continuing to sail downwind, rather than heave to or slow down, IF got lots of searoom (or able to get into sheltered water before approaching harbour, as in this case).

But I am still amazed that in a full Force 10 one could sail with hatches wide open and no need for lifelines. Cross waves tend to break into the cockpit, and/or the nose diving into the back of a wave sending solid water back. Particularly if the boat is a submarine type as some have suggested.
    Plus I would have imagined that in F10 you would be sailing fast under bare poles (people often start to consider ropes to slow down in these conditions, which had mixed results to say the least in GGR), rather than part reefed genoa.

Certainly a fun ride by an experienced sailor, but doesn’t feel like a representative full Force 10.
    Don’t know about F10.

At 12.40 today my crew and I stepped off a Nic 55 in Woolverstone aboard which we had sailed from the Hamble at 0800 yesterday.

At all times before during and after our trip the weather forecast was for Beaufort F7, F8 and F9.

There were no wrecks, and nobody drownded, and nothing to laff at at all...
    Last edited by Kukri; 29-09-19 at 22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Don’t know about F10.

At 12.40 today my crew and I stepped off a Nic 55 in Woolverstone aboard which we had sailed from the Hamble at 0800 yesterday.

At all times before during and after our trip the weather forecast was for Beaufort F7, F7 and F9.

There were no wrecks, and nobody drownded, and nothing to laff at at all...
    Glad you enjoyed your sail. And am sure you would agree there is a huge difference between a forecast of F7-8 potentially F9 at times (which many/most of us have experienced grabbing the window to scuttle downwind to better shelter) versus being in an actual sustained F10 - which does happen but is usually a severe batten down the hatches event.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    ...There were no wrecks, and nobody drownded, and nothing to laff at at all...
    Did Albert survive ?
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

Home; Abingdon, Oxfordshire. Boat; Hardway, Gosport

Lots of filming. Filmed the wind speed on the way out, but not on the way back. If I’d been sailing in a F10 and was filming, a shot of the wind instrument would be infinite bragging rights.

I wasn't convinced it was a Force 10 (though more than enough for me).

Before he set off he said, IIRC, that the island's met station was showing 45kts gusting 55kts. That's F9, not 10, and the station appeared to be at the top of a hill, where wind speed would be higher due to (a) elevation and (b) accelerating over the hill.

When he was running he said IIRC that the boat was doing 6 1/2 kts, which meant the wind was 40 to 42 kts (presumably added boat speed to apparent wind speed). That would be F8 - F9, even assuming it was steady rather than a gust.

I would not expect to be able to stand up without holding on in a 35' boat in a F10, let alone operate a camera. I certainly wouldn't expect to be able to clearly record speech into a microphone.

For me the most alarming aspect of it was heading towards a lee shore with only limited openings (and those between low lying islets that would be difficult to see if the viz closed in). It wouldn't take much in the way of mechanical problems, or injury following a fall or whatever, to make that lethal.
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast