Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Opinions on cruising yachts

Quote Originally Posted by roaringgirl View Post
    Also consider what they're set up for. Many plastic fantastics made for the med have a galley down one side of the saloon. Try preparing 3 meals a day for 4 weeks in one of those galleys!
    Didnt find that a problemon a 6 week passage from Antigua to Tahiti......

In fact with that big seat locker it was easier. Same on two transats with a Jenneau 45.
    Last edited by capnsensible; 28-09-19 at 14:30. Reason: speeling mistaks

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    Our friends 46 has a tiny battery box. I am not guessing. I have helped him out with some battery issues. Its a stock boat with no modification.
    Not a stock boat then. The two Ive taken long distance and one I do some stuff on locally have gert big batteries under the starboard side of the saloon. The local one I helped change them last year and the one I took to Panama this year had snags so we put new ones in in Gran Canaria.

As you do.

Have a chat to Brent Swain.( you will find the odd post on this forum!!!!) He has hit a few reefs, containers & whales so reckons he is the bees knees- piss poor navigator though
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Not a stock boat then. The two Ive taken long distance and one I do some stuff on locally have gert big batteries under the starboard side of the saloon. The local one I helped change them last year and the one I took to Panama this year had snags so we put new ones in in Gran Canaria.

As you do.
    They bought it new and have never modified the box. It has room for three batteries circa 110amp hr. one is the engine battery. They complain about the lack of storage. Lots of beds so it can store humans!

They complain about the lack of storage. Lots of beds so it can store humans!
    The aft cabin on my boat is storage!

They bought it new and have never modified the box. It has room for three batteries circa 110amp hr. one is the engine battery. They complain about the lack of storage. Lots of beds so it can store humans!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    The aft cabin on my boat is storage!

Agree, my old Bavaria 38 had lots of stowage and hanging lockers and as you said the second stern cabin was one big storage area. It also had room 4 x 140amp batteries and 1 engine battery,
    Even my current Bavaria 33 has room for 2 x140amp batteries and one engine battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    Agree, my old Bavaria 38 had lots of stowage and hanging lockers and as you said the second stern cabin was one big storage area. It also had room 4 x 140amp batteries and 1 engine battery,
    Even my current Bavaria 33 has room for 2 x140amp batteries and one engine battery.
    Yeah thats the builder set up on the 42, 46 and 48. Those big batteries arent half flippin heavy.... and expensive.

The bigger ones with bunk bed cabin makes a great storage larder and handy tool box storage. Ive sailed them with 3 or 4 on board and had masses of space.

GattMLT, re how you cannot afford a cat, what is your budget for purchasing the vessel?
    The secondhand prices of cats are coming down, especially in the Caribbean, and it might be possible to find one in your price range?
    Last edited by Bajansailor; 28-09-19 at 22:37. Reason: grammar
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Didnt find that a problemon a 6 week passage from Antigua to Tahiti......

In fact with that big seat locker it was easier. Same on two transats with a Jenneau 45.
    I didn't say it wasn't possible, but it's surely a helluva lot easier preparing food in a seaway when the galley is down one side of the engine room!

Yeah thats the builder set up on the 42, 46 and 48. Those big batteries arent half flippin heavy.... and expensive.

The bigger ones with bunk bed cabin makes a great storage larder and handy tool box storage. Ive sailed them with 3 or 4 on board and had masses of space.
    Its all relative. Our battery box is original unmodified. It houses four 250 amp hr house batteries, two 110 amp hr starter batteries ( being a 24v boat) and a 110amp hr generator battery. We have way more storage on our 44 ft boat than on a Bav46 but we have less beds. Turning cabins in to storage is ok as long as you dont have to take salty wet gear down below. Far better to have wet storage for mooring lines, fenders, paddleboards, kite surfing gear, dinghy sails, rudder, daggerboard, etc in dedicated deck lockers. The problem with many boats designed for the charter market is they sacrifice good stowage of this type for more beds. You can pile gear on bunks and its not a problem but having space for heavy tools and spares and lockers for lots of food as part of the boat design is way better. Keeping weight low down is good. Everything you pile on a bunk is above the waterline so reduces the righting moment. Having water tanks under the floor leaves space under bunks for stowage. Very few boats built for the charter market have water tanks and fuel tanks under the floor boards so you lose lots of under bunk space to these tanks. There is always a compromise to be had. We know friends with a Catana cat that converted the front of one hull in to a store room as they didnt need all the beds. It was accessible from the deck so wet stuff didnt come through the cabin. It was professionally modified and worked very well. He had a work bench and vice to set up as well. A proper work shop. Having space to locate a watermaker that is easily serviceable is great. They tend to be salty when you change filter so working out where to put such items in any boat is something to consider. Can sea water drain to a sump or does it run through the whole bilge wetting anything you store down there. Good luck to the OP with you search

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast