Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Default UKHO want to drop small craft folio charts

Haven't seen this on here. Rather startling news! And a very short deadline for comments.

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/ne...oQXsKJXBx1uVvY

https://rin.org.uk/page/SurveyAdmiraltySmallCraftFolios
    Last edited by Cantata; 28-09-19 at 09:00.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Default Re: UKHO want to drop small craft folio charts

I agree it does sound alarming - and stupid, maybe they're trying to drum up more customers for the beleaugured RNLI...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I agree it does sound alarming - and stupid, maybe they're trying to drum up more customers for the beleaugured RNLI...
    The information will still be available on standard charts.

I suspect this proposal has been bought about by more and more folk using (and totally relying on) chart plotting devices leading to the reduction in sales of the folios.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

The short survey cantata posts requires no personal info so there's no reason to not complete this if you have an opinion.

I presume the "changing requirements of users" is a switch to digital and only a minority of yachties ever updating paper charts. We may say "we still have imray" but if paper chart use declines further, why would a commercial company carry on producing them?

We're encouraged to carry paper charts as a matter of responsible seamanship. Without the folios they would not be cost effective and more people would go digital-only. It would be a shame if this were left to the commercial market.

Considering that you can buy a digital version of every single Admiralty Chart of British waters for £25, is it any surprise that paper charts are not being bought?

Yes, this is encouraging poor seamanship and relying on digital, the RYA should be kicking up a serious fuss seeing as their afiliated schools generally say paper charts are a good idea, relying on digital as we know will wnd in tears one way or another.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Don't IMRAY small craft folios offer an alternative? Not sure of their coverage, but they are a reasonable second best.
    Interesting if it's really caused by ubiquitous reliance on chart plotters, because I thought people were meant to carry (and know how to use) paper charts in reserve anyway...

I seem to remember SHOM offering small craft folios, are they going to consider dropping them as well?
    What about all the fantastic Norwegian and Swedish folios, are those authorities going to stop printing them? Of course not. They are not that misguided.
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 28-09-19 at 09:52.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Considering that you can buy a digital version of every single Admiralty Chart of British waters for £25, is it any surprise that paper charts are not being bought?
    Yes because paper charts should be carried in reserve anyway.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    The information will still be available on standard charts.

I suspect this proposal has been bought about by more and more folk using (and totally relying on) chart plotting devices leading to the reduction in sales of the folios.
    Agreed, so why not do as the USA do & offer free electronic charts. Free as they are paid for from public funds in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Yes, this is encouraging poor seamanship and relying on digital, the RYA should be kicking up a serious fuss seeing as their afiliated schools generally say paper charts are a good idea, relying on digital as we know will wnd in tears one way or another.
    The whole commercial shipping sector "rely" on enc charting, why are we any different

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast