Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: NAVTEX - is its time up - at last?

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    Interesting. How does it do this? NAVTEX only broadcasts information for the area serviced by the transmitter.
    Have had Navtex ICS-6 for years. Still find it invaluable. As others have written you don’t have to hang about for a forecast that you might later have missed through a distraction. The facility to pick up immediate info. re navigation hazards is particularly useful, especially if you sail on the East Coast with bouys frequently going adrift and wind farm lights becoming “inoperable”! I do use laptops for forecasts when I have a signal, but no satellite phone for offshore.
    There, on the ICS-6, is an elaborate menu which allows you to select which stations you wish to monitor, either 470(?) or (520?) or both and another set of menus to select which messages you wish to consult. An additional advantage is that every new message is displayed when I go to the chart table, whilst I have to seek out the mobile phone or laptop and log in

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I often receive info from stations a long way away from the yacht, which is of no interest but clutters up the screen.
    Switching on the GPS method of choosing stations stops this.
    Also, it saves me looking up the codes for my relevant stations and manually entering them.
    They are all selected, and the GPS info sent to the Navtex allows it to filter out useless stations. It works very well.
    It's an ICS-6 model and the instructions are free on the internet, if you are interested. It makes Navtex far more user-friendly.
    Thanks for that; a new one to me, very interesting. What happens if you are in the western Channel. You could be nearer to CROSS Corsen and Valentina than to Niton. How does it know that you want Niton not the others? Or does it just record the nearest 3 or 4? In which case you might be downloading more than you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    Have had Navtex ICS-6 for years. Still find it invaluable. As others have written you donít have to hang about for a forecast that you might later have missed through a distraction. The facility to pick up immediate info. re navigation hazards is particularly useful, especially if you sail on the East Coast with bouys frequently going adrift and wind farm lights becoming ďinoperableĒ! I do use laptops for forecasts when I have a signal, but no satellite phone for offshore.
    There, on the ICS-6, is an elaborate menu which allows you to select which stations you wish to monitor, either 470(?) or (520?) or both and another set of menus to select which messages you wish to consult. An additional advantage is that every new message is displayed when I go to the chart table, whilst I have to seek out the mobile phone or laptop and log in
    Again, at thr risk of being repetitive, the NAVTEX concept is good; for that reason it is an integral component of the GMDSS. The problems that I am highlighting are itís uncertain future and reception issues. Further, in view of the use being made of the internet, the need for the internet to be a reliable source of information. NAVTEX is a reliable source of information but the medium is unreliable and the future uncertain. The internet is not quite as reliable a source of information but, for many it is a more reliable medium. Given satellite phone technology, it could be superior to NAVTEX and it could be accessible more widely than any terrestrial marine communications system. I am not seeing this as a beauty competition but as a real problem on the (near?) horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    Thanks for that; a new one to me, very interesting. What happens if you are in the western Channel. You could be nearer to CROSS Corsen and Valentina than to Niton. How does it know that you want Niton not the others? Or does it just record the nearest 3 or 4? In which case you might be downloading more than you need?
    Filters are easily set on the receivers to focus on what you want. There is no need to look at non-relevant stations , or other categories you have no use for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    There, on the ICS-6, is an elaborate menu which allows you to select which stations you wish to monitor, either 470(?) or (520?) or both and another set of menus to select which messages you wish to consult.
    The other good thing about the ICS-6 filter system is that it's only a display filter, not a reception filter. If you realise (normally while first setting it up and getting used to it) that you've filtered out something you actually want, you can change the settings and it will immediately appear because it was in the device's storage all along. You don't need to wait another four hours for the next broadcast.

Pete

Well I have one and find it useful. I am now 77 and just hope it does not become obsolete before I do! When I started sailing navigation was about using mark one eyeball and dead reckoning. Weather forecasts were about staying up to midnight to hear Radio 4 Long Wave. VHF radio was a luxury........ Now we have loads of modern gismos and I welcome them all but switching off NAVTEX when the only alternative relies on having a massive budget to replace it is sad......

Quote Originally Posted by boatmike View Post
    Well I have one and find it useful. I am now 77 and just hope it does not become obsolete before I do! When I started sailing navigation was about using mark one eyeball and dead reckoning. Weather forecasts were about staying up to midnight to hear Radio 4 Long Wave. VHF radio was a luxury........ Now we have loads of modern gismos and I welcome them all but switching off NAVTEX when the only alternative relies on having a massive budget to replace it is sad......
    Well, I can beat you by 9 years on the age front. I go back to LW 198 kHz being Radio 2. I would certainly not like to see NAVTEX go until there is a reliable, affordable replacement. I can foresee it going, as in the USA, which is why I am trying to bring an awareness of the issue rather than hoping it will continue. IMO/WMO seem not to have given any thought, as far as I am aware, to the issue of those many small craft that use NAVTEX. Had they done so, we might have had a system with more reliable coverage, not subject to sky-wave interference, not subject to interference by ducting, of higher speeds than 100 bauds. We talk now in terms of mega-byte speeds not 100 bits. NAVTEX is obsolescent.
    Last edited by franksingleton; 04-10-19 at 08:20.

Quote Originally Posted by cpedw View Post
    How will the trident subs know not to fire?
    Easy. They probably cannot afford to buy anything to fire in the first place, so it does not matter
    If JC ever gets his way, there won't be any subs either, so the matter would become irrelevant.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I do not know about Navtex, but I have had a NASA Weatherman for 16 years. I cannot recall any instance when I have received a complete transmission, whereby it has not been ruined by loads of XXX!!! in the text, making it virtually useless
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    I do not know about Navtex, but I have had a NASA Weatherman for 16 years. I cannot recall any instance when I have received a complete transmission, whereby it has not been ruined by loads of XXX!!! in the text, making it virtually useless
    I have the bluetooth NASA NAVTEX with the updated antenna and it has been fabulous. Really useful bit of kit.

With a VHF or LW there is always the chance of being busy or missing a forecast, but NAVTEX much more reliable.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast