Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: NAVTEX - is its time up - at last?

I find Navtex useful, as others have said it just sits there collecting data which I can read when ready. I dont need any other connectivity so for a minimal investment, £300 or so, I get a reliable source of weather and navigation data. Granted it supplements what I can get elsewhere via the interweb, my use of VHF is nearly all for voice, but its there as a backstop and it gets read regularly. I dont know what the investment is for Yellow Brick or similar, how does that compare with a NAVTEX receiver ?

Given NAVTEX is an architected part of GMDSS shouldnt a similarly architected service that relied only on an ability to receive have been specified before the old service is disabled ?
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

I would miss Navtex. I installed it some years ago, when the CG were playing silly buggers, and refusing to issue Safety Information.
    I sail on the West Coast and Hebrides. Some of the time I have Internet, some of the time I have the Inshore Forecast via VHF from the CG, some of the time I get Navtex. Usually, but not always, I can get at least one of the three. Obviously the most useful is the Internet, the CG don't do the forecast if they're busy, and Navtex is dodgy if close under high land, but has the great advantage that it records, and can be read later. So yes, I would definitely miss it.

Whether we like NAVTEX or not, whether we use RTTY or Radiofax or not, is to some extent, irrelevant. The technology is 1950s. Back in 2007, USCG put out a similar message about HF/SSB citing maintenance/replacement problems of their transmitters. The recent NAVTEX notice makes the same points. Reading posts above, I suspect that some contributors have not read all of the USCG notice. Two paras say -

The U.S. Coast Guard is proposing to cease operating MF NAVTEX and, instead making this information available via IMO recognized satellite services in waters under U.S. responsibility. The current MF NAVTEX equipment is in dire need of replacement. The equipment is antiquated and essential replacement parts are difficult to find and expensive, placing overall operation of MF NATEX at risk. Any approved GMDSS satellite terminal will be able to receive this information. We would like comments on this proposal to make the NAVTEX information available over satellite.

We believe the transition from terrestrial broadcast to satellite will provide for more reliable delivery of NAVTEX information and allow better, more cost-effective products in the future. We also believe this change will have a low impact on the maritime public as satellite receivers have become more prevalent onboard vessels. However, we would like your comments on how you would be affected if we did provide the NAVTEX information via satellite, particularly if you use MF NAVTEX and do not currently have a GMDSS satellite terminal onboard your vessel. We would also like your comments on what types of Maritime Safety Information products you would like to see added in the future if we did provide the NAVTEX information via satellite.
    Does anyone know about the satellite system mentioned? Does anyone know about equipment costs?

Where the USCG leads, others will surely follow. NAVTEX, like all terrestrial radio systems, has transmission/reception problems. Their proposed satellite system may or may not be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    Does anyone know about the satellite system mentioned? Does anyone know about equipment costs?
    See post #2: Inmarsat C terminal, around €4k give or take. Requires a fair bit of space too. Not likely to be fitted by yacht owners. I'll miss Navtex too, in case that wasn't clear before

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    See post #2: Inmarsat C terminal, around €4k give or take. Requires a fair bit of space too. Not likely to be fitted by yacht owners. I'll miss Navtex too, in case that wasn't clear before
    Unless they launch a new constellation broadcasting global weather, free, and could be received on any smartphones like GPS. Only problem is that I haven't heard of such a system in the works...

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Back in 2007, USCG put out a similar message about HF/SSB citing maintenance/replacement problems of their transmitters. The recent NAVTEX notice makes the same points.
    Hello Frank,
    that request for comments generated a lot of answers (though at that time it was held in the NWS web site, rather than this regulations.gov), they eventually decided to keep it; IIRC the wording was exactly the same: old equipment, old technology, problems with spares, etc etc.

This is what had been retained from the survey:
    The responding public collectively perceives that the USCG HF broadcasts are essential to
    their safety. There is no viable alternative to the USCG HF broadcasts because present
    alternatives are perceived by the public to be out of financial reach. Also, marine weather
    forecasts available through these alternative sources may not guarantee the same level of
    accuracy, timeliness, and/or sufficiency as provided by the USCG HF broadcasts.

Full report here
    https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/Deli...l%20Report.pdf

regards, r.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

When will the U.K. and/or Europe follow suit?
    For many years, Portuguese registered (and foreign based there) boats in Offshore and Ocean categories require Navtax/Inmarsat + HF receiver + VHF fixed and mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Lots of people going transatlantic using devices like Garmin InReach - circa £300 and very compact. Satellite technology is advancing.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Lots of people going transatlantic using devices like Garmin InReach - circa £300 and very compact. Satellite technology is advancing.
    Those are satellite trackers/messengers with a unicast service only. They are not part of GMDSS and receive none of the information Navtex broadcasts. In addition to the purchase price, they cost a subscription fee per month and/or additional fees per message. I guess you could bodge up some service that forwards Navtex messages (but where from once Navtex ceases?) to individual messengers, but it would have to rely on several third party services (the message forwarder and the satellite providers). Not a suitable replacement at all.

Which is why the USCG correctly pointed out that the only currently existing replacement is a very expensive GMDSS satellite terminal that isn't really appropriate for yachts (they somehow didn't mention this obvious conclusion though). A better solution must be developed before Navtex can be retired. It should certainly be possible to do this, piggybacking on existing satellite networks, but it will take administrative and development work, and new receivers (technically mere firmware updates on existing ones might work, although manufacturers will more than likely not waste the opportunity to profit from selling a new generation of devices instead).

I find it quite useful even pottering around the edges of Europe.

I think the BBC are floating a similar illogical wheeze with Long Wave voice radio, viz

1) It's really very old primitive technology

2) It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to replace when it busts

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast