Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: NAVTEX - is its time up - at last?

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    The intenet has become a de facto source of GMDSS information. As such it should be robust and reliable. Although pretty good, it is currently neither. That seems not to be recognised by IMO/WMO.
    The rest of your post suggests that Navtex isn't all that robust and reliable either

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    The rest of your post suggests that Navtex isn't all that robust and reliable either

Pete
    I have never suggested it is reliable for the reasons set out in http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...lems-And-Cures. But neither is any terrestrial radio system. The internet could be far more reliable than any current GMDSS service although I cannot be sure about Inmarsat. That is why I want URLs to be reliable so that they can be used either to view a web page or with the Saildocs text retrieval service to get GMDSS texts.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post

Pete
    I find Navtex pretty reliable. More predictable than VHF forecasts. The biggest advantage is the the device captures the data for you. You don't need to hang around listening for a transmission. Or for that matter go ashore and walk up a hill somewhere in the horizontal rain, trying to find a functional mobile /internet signal.
    Navtex is much more than just weather - navigation warnings etc are regularly sent out. Buoys out of position, lights not working at full power, VHF relays out of action. RN exercises. Try tracking that list down on a poor internet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    I find Navtex pretty reliable. More predictable than VHF forecasts. The biggest advantage is the the device captures the data for you. You don't need to hang around listening for a transmission. Or for that matter go ashore and walk up a hill somewhere in the horizontal rain, trying to find a functional mobile /internet signal.
    Navtex is much more than just weather - navigation warnings etc are regularly sent out. Buoys out of position, lights not working at full power, VHF relays out of action. RN exercises. Try tracking that list down on a poor internet connection?
    Your point about Nav warnings is well taken. If an internet service became the sole source of GMDSS information, as I believe it will at some time in the future, it will necessitate a change of philosophy, as I have said, from a push to a pull system.

As regards reception, one of the biggest complaints that I have had over the years has been wrt reception problems. Many have been, admittedly, due to lack of understanding of the system. However, sky wave and anomalous propagation under high pressure have also figured greatly.As regards the internet, it does depend on where you sail. From Dartmouth to the Charente, apart from cross Channel, we are rarely without the internet. In harbour, I use the local marina wherever possible. Otherwise, including on passage, I use a small Huawei dongle that works to a few miles out. There are better hot-spot devices with better aerials working to between 10 and 20 miles out. Further out, of course, I have NAVTEX. Currently, it is not a binary choice between them. it is horses for courses.

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    Absolutely! I forget it's switched on and am pleasantly surprised by the new forecast magically displayed on the screen.
    My ICS-6 has NMEA input for the GPS position, and it can choose appropriate forecasts to show me.
    In fact, in a way, like the Aries windvane, it's almost a member of the crew
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Am I missing something?
    This summer going down to Spain on a mate's boat we had an Iridium connected to a tablet and had all the weather data we could need.
    I have to say I never used to look at all the buoyage data on my last Navtex, just the weather so the gribs on the tablet were a huge jump up for what, a grand or so, plus a small sub.
    Real men do it two handed

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Absolutely! I forget it's switched on and am pleasantly surprised by the new forecast magically displayed on the screen.
    My ICS-6 has NMEA input for the GPS position, and it can choose appropriate forecasts to show me.
    In fact, in a way, like the Aries windvane, it's almost a member of the crew
    Interesting. How does it do this? NAVTEX only broadcasts information for the area serviced by the transmitter.

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    Interesting. How does it do this? NAVTEX only broadcasts information for the area serviced by the transmitter.
    I often receive info from stations a long way away from the yacht, which is of no interest but clutters up the screen.
    Switching on the GPS method of choosing stations stops this.
    Also, it saves me looking up the codes for my relevant stations and manually entering them.
    They are all selected, and the GPS info sent to the Navtex allows it to filter out useless stations. It works very well.
    It's an ICS-6 model and the instructions are free on the internet, if you are interested. It makes Navtex far more user-friendly.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by doris View Post
    Am I missing something?
    This summer going down to Spain on a mate's boat we had an Iridium connected to a tablet and had all the weather data we could need.
    I have to say I never used to look at all the buoyage data on my last Navtex, just the weather so the gribs on the tablet were a huge jump up for what, a grand or so, plus a small sub.
    Agree about weather, navtex text weather is a very broad brush & gribs imho are much more useful combined with weatherfax. But navtex nav data can be very useful and not easily obtained elsewhere even with satellite data. I've a nasa engine connected to the boat computer, being able to copy & paste in a few moments lat/long of firing zones or survey vessel or boat adrift at.... straight into opencpn is really nice to have. Nowhere near the end of the world if it isn't there but very handy when it is. If it meant scrolling through a little display for the same data it probably wouldn't get used half as much.

Quote Originally Posted by doris View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Yeah, some of us have a smaller budget.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast