Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Why don't yachts have foghorns?

All yachts have some form of nav lights, but why are they not designed and supplied with built-in fog horns?
    A button in the cockpit and a loud hooter, mounted or concealed somewhere suitable, seem so obviously essential. Instead we have these aerosols, (go flat) mouth trumpets, (not very loud) or VHF's with foghorn wiring.
    ( I have a PA horn connected to the VHF, but by the time you've gone below, found the reading glasses, scrolled through the menu and selected Foghorn, the moment has passed..)
    It's a winter project to fit a truck horn or similar on my yacht with a waterproof button and a relay, but why don't manufacturers fit them? It's a very odd omission.
    I have a 12v klaxon, would it be illegal to sound it at sea?
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Default Re: Why don't yachts have foghorns?

I have a home made old car horn, fitted on a wooden base with a handle and push button, a power lead to a 12v outlet socket. Works well but not used in anger for some time( I prefer not to sail when it's foggy...)

I know someone with a Fisher that has a foghorn. It doubles as a speaker, which was something of a surprise to the owner's wife when she was on the foredeck and subjected to loud instructions from on high.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    All yachts have some form of nav lights, but why are they not designed and supplied with built-in fog horns?
    A button in the cockpit and a loud hooter, mounted or concealed somewhere suitable, seem so obviously essential. Instead we have these aerosols, (go flat) mouth trumpets, (not very loud) or VHF's with foghorn wiring.
    ( I have a PA horn connected to the VHF, but by the time you've gone below, found the reading glasses, scrolled through the menu and selected Foghorn, the moment has passed..)
    It's a winter project to fit a truck horn or similar on my yacht with a waterproof button and a relay, but why don't manufacturers fit them? It's a very odd omission.
    They do if the owner fits it. Mine is part of the VHF. The hailer/horn sits on the mast just below the radar.

Thought all vessels are supposed to carry the means to make sound signals appropriate to their size and class of vessel.

On my power boat I have an electric powered horn on the sail boat a aerosol horn. Neither is big enough to warrant a ships bell.
    🇵🇹Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

I have a PA horn connected to the VHF ...
    "Oh, are you not going to get out of the way? I suppose that's all right. Some people might think it was selfish but if you feel so important don't mind me. Go right ahead. I don't suppose you'll care about any damage either, but that's fine too. Well, not fine, but typical. ..."
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Perhaps because the officer on the bridge of the vessels we most fear being in collision with would be unable to hear any sound that a small yacht is capable of making.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

I completely agree. You need one to comply with the colregs. I never understand why so few yachts can easily make a sound signal.

I also don’t understand why your VHF is hidden down below.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Perhaps because the officer on the bridge of the vessels we most fear being in collision with would be unable to hear any sound that a small yacht is capable of making.

This is absolutely not true. They can hear you and react to a sound signal.

And why would only big boats need to hear a sound signal? Gets rid of the “guess what I’m doing” dance small vessel to small vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    This is absolutely not true. They can hear you and react to a sound signal.

And why would only big boats need to hear a sound signal? Gets rid of the “guess what I’m doing” dance small vessel to small vessel.
    Whilst I agree the use of a sound signal is quite productive and I do myself show people how to do this, the notion that the average yacht vuvuzela can be heard further than obout ten feet away is.....imaginative.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast