Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why don't yachts have foghorns?

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    That's rather the point of the thread

I have a hailer/horn driven by the VHF - it's good for fog signals, but as the OP says, it's not really convenient for unanticipated manoeuvering signals (unlike him I don't need to go below and fiddle with glasses and so on, but it still takes a few button-presses on the handset at the helm to get it ready to sound). Ideally the VHF would have an input wire (short to ground, or apply 12v, to immediately generate a horn tone) that could be wired to a dedicated button, but they don't. I have a plan to put together a signal generator and an audio relay, that switches the speaker away from the VHF and then sends a tone to it, and I actually added the "horn" button for it to the helm along with some other work. But so far I've been a bit hampered by my lack of analogue electronics knowledge and haven't built the driver circuit.

Pete
    I suppose you could just pick up the mike and hoot into it.
    ۞

We had a horn that we had to blow.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    That's rather the point of the thread

Pete
    Well obviously. So to claim the average yachts sound signals can be heard on the bridge of any size of ship is somewhat fanciful. Of the dozens and dozens of different yachts Ive sailed, only one had a decent foghorn up the mast. Motorboats, well different, most fitted with something effective.

The problem with sailing yacht is where to fit your "whistle" such that it won't snag the genoa when tacking. Under the radar mount seems popular but I don't have one of those.

Those Kahlenberg horns are rather shiny and allegedly colregs compliant but heinously expensive...

Over here, all vessels have to carry a horn, except 'beach toys'. Standard for small boats is a plastic jobby like an old posties horn. Also obliged to carry an anchor (of choice ) with rope, a compass and three red flares, along with a copy of the buoys and regs.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Over here, all vessels have to carry a horn, except 'beach toys'. Standard for small boats is a plastic jobby like an old posties horn.
    I have one of these:

Its sole use is to let bridge keepers on the Crinan Canal know we're coming.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Me Too.

A recording of a liner foghorn played down the VHF speaker works well in the marina -dont think I have ever had to use at sea and I think I would prefer to keep my eyes on AIS and radar as opposed to believing any large ship might actually be listening .
    The greatest danger might be from fishing boats though IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    We had a horn that we had to blow.
    Well, I went on the mountain
    And I gave my horn a blow
    Thought I heard some purty gal say
    "Yonder come my beau(t)"

Ry Cooder

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I have one of these:

Its sole use is to let bridge keepers on the Crinan Canal know we're coming.
    Had one of those on the yacht I sailed for the last two weeks on the Algarve. In the first week we had three mornings of drifting fog banks and it got well used. One long two shorts. but as useful really on a yacht as an umbrella.....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast