Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Why don't yachts have foghorns?

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Why in the cockpit? Mine’s under the radar, halfway up the mast. It doesn’t sound all that loud in the cockpit, a lot louder when I go up to the foredeck, but no, almost certainly not as loud as a big motorboat’s air horn.
    Location isn't really relevant. My point is that a speaker capable of producing a reasonable alert 100 yds away needs to produce somewhere in the region of 120 dB at 1m, and I'd be very surprised if a typical VHF speaker can do that or if a typical VHF set can supply it.

Edit: 120dB is what you get from a VERY loud car alarm.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 01-10-19 at 09:46.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I've got a conch shell. Very traditional and the sound seems to carry a long way.

I'm going to buy ebay's loudest 12v truck horn, and try and find somewhere for it to sit. Thanks for the replies!
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

I fitted a pair of "stainless steel" boat trumpet horns which worked for a while but then stopped. On taking then apart the horn inside was made of steel and rusted away.

I then got some car air horns and fitted the trumpet inside the stainless outer part and fitted the compressor in a IP65 box.

The compressor then corroded and stopped working

I now used a vuvuzela and hope my lungs don't rust up.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Things may have changed, but when I was a boy, my father strongly discouraged us from using the car's horn when the engine was stopped, because he reckoned it drew more current from the batteries than anything else except the starter motor. I've always assumed that was why sailing boats weren't equipped with air horns, but motor boats often are.

There was a long debate about the audibility of sound signals on ships on here a while ago, and the general opinion (including comments by professional mariners) was that a) no noise we could make would be audible for any useful distance on a ship's bridge and b) if we could make ourselves heard, we'd deafen ourselves. There were also amusing anecdotes about H&S requiring mariners to wear ear defenders when operating the fog-horn!

Yes AP, expecting a hooter to be heard on a ship's bridge is a mistake..I still want something for other small craft though.
    Ebay 'loud' vehicle hooters seem to want 30 or 50 amp fuses fitted which is suggestive..
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

This is all you need.

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-bla...Fog%20horn%20&

£10, made of plastic.

Job done.

On a slightly different note, who here has and has used a bell ( or gong ).....?

I can think of a few anchorages and harbours I've entered in fog, from necessity, when/where I'd have been pleased to know that others were up and about...... e.g. Cawsand, Fowey, Salcombe.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    On a slightly different note, who here has and has used a bell ( or gong ).....?

I can think of a few anchorages and harbours I've entered in fog, from necessity, when/where I'd have been pleased to know that others were up and about...... e.g. Cawsand, Fowey, Salcombe.
    I've used the electronic ones over a speaker from th VHF on numerous occasions.

Don't remember being there hitting the gong or ringing a bell though. Polished a few with th brasso.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I donít have an actual bell (though I do have a selection of saucepans) - but my VHF can make bell-like sounds through the hailer horn as an alternative to the under-way toots.

Iíve not actually used it beyond a test, as I donít remember ever anchoring somewhere with large or fast traffic, nor in such thick fog that a yacht proceeding through the anchorage wouldnít see me in time.

Pete
    Last edited by prv; 02-10-19 at 19:02.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast