Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Why don't yachts have foghorns?

Good point Zoidberg. I don't carry a bell or gong but my VHF can play them through the tannoy on the spreaders.
    Now I will have to go and check if the whole repertoire of big ship combinations is available, or just yacht sized ones!
    Lots of American pleasure boats, even quite small, seem to have ships' bells. A cultural difference I would guess.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Now I will have to go and check if the whole repertoire of big ship combinations is available, or just yacht sized ones!
    Colregs specify different tones for different sizes of vessel (deeper for larger, as you'd expect). It amused me slightly to find that my VHF offers this choice in its setup - as if it might be used to substitute for a container ship's horn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Colregs specify different tones for different sizes of vessel (deeper for larger, as you'd expect). It amused me slightly to find that my VHF offers this choice in its setup - as if it might be used to substitute for a container ship's horn

Pete
    Why not? The biggest issue we had in the UK was finding a suitable speaker without a mortgage. Here all the automatic horns were non op and most people had no idea what they meant anyway.

W.

Pete
    Mine only offers one tone and no vessel length options
    Some of the signals, large vessel aground, bell+gong? I forget precisely, must be sounded at opposite ends of the ship..
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Why not? The biggest issue we had in the UK was finding a suitable speaker without a mortgage. .
    Really? The horn for mine was fairly cheap, as you’d expect for a generic 30watt speaker in a plastic trumpet. Fortunate, since I flooded the first one by leaving it pointing skyward when the mast was unstepped and lying horizontal in the yard

Pete

Really? The horn for mine was fairly cheap, as you’d expect for a generic 30watt speaker in a plastic trumpet. Fortunate, since I flooded the first one by leaving it pointing skyward when the mast was unstepped and lying horizontal in the yard

Pete
    Yep, this was a few years ago though. The engineer was from the sound industry so wanted it to be right - he was as anal as me about things being perfect I think we needed. 100 W to comply.

W.

Some of the signals, large vessel aground, bell+gong? I forget precisely, must be sounded at opposite ends of the ship..
    I have sailed a lot in an area known for fog at certain times each year. Heard large vessels under way and making way a lot whilst out there mixing with them. also an area with a lot of anchored vessels. Never heard bells and gongs but the gas ships anchored off Punta Carnero (Gib Bay) would always sound code letter R (short, long, short) at intervals not exceeding one minute. Automated, obviously.

Without looking I think coded Small Commercial Vessels require a bell if over 14m? Plus NUC lights. I coded a Motor Boat. The light were easy, getting the bell was a pain.

Didnt ever use it..... but the boat had a brill foghorn that I did have to use a few times.

Rule 35 (j). A vessel of less than 12 metres in length shall not be obliged to give the above-mentioned signals but, if she does
    not, shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.
    It's a matter of record our good friend Sarabande has determined to learn to play the Celtic Bagpipes, and expects to do so on board his sailboat.....

I'm of the view that is likely to prove a most effective 'steamer scarer'. Should we encourage this creative interpretation of the ColRegs?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    It's a matter of record our good friend Sarabande has determined to learn to play the Celtic Bagpipes, and expects to do so on board his sailboat.....

I'm of the view that is likely to prove a most effective 'steamer scarer'. Should we encourage this creative interpretation of the ColRegs?
    No.

OTOH, it could have its uses when someone insists on anchoring too close...
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
    Manually doing fog signals for any length of time gets tedious quite quickly.
    ... While blowing into a trumpet can make you quite light-headed.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast