Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Going up the mast (solo) and what to expect at the top...

Quote Originally Posted by stevie69p View Post
    Also, looking for recommendations as to which bosun's chair I should buy... something safe and comfortable to work in. Thanks in advance for advice / observations, etc...
    Not a fan of them myself. I too climb the mast using ascendors or prussic loops on a bar-tight main halyard, one connects to a very basic climbing harness, the other to a wooden step, the latter allowing me to stand at the masthead, with the light, windex etc at almost waist level; once in position, loop a safety line around both yourself and the mast, then you've then got both hands free too.

If possible of course, have a separate halyard fastened to you as a safety line, with someone at deck-level to tail it around the winch; purely a fall-arrest, so no need for the second to be particularly strong.
    Last edited by BobnLesley; 29-09-19 at 21:59.
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    If you have a furling Genoa take care that the halyard goes off the top of the genoa at an angle to the forestay not parrallel
    to it.

The angle prevents the halyard wrapping around the forestay as the furler is turned then jamming it .Do a search on "halyard wrap" for more details .
    Yes, it has a guide 'saddle' just down from the mast head that the halyard runs through and then off at an angle to the top fitting. This is why I was a bit confused initially as to what was going on, until I saw the halyard fouling against the top bearing and realised it was in fact (probably) the spinnaker halyard (which I will also need as the boat came with a cruising chute).

Quote Originally Posted by BobnLesley View Post
    Not a fan of them myself. I too climb the mast using ascendors or prussic loops on a bar-tight main halyard, one connects to a very basic climbing harness, the other to a wooden step, the latter allowing me to stand at the masthead, with the light, windex etc at almost waist level; once in position, loop a safety line around both yourself and the mast, then you've then got both hands free too.
    That might be another option i could try out... use the ladder as a step for the feet rather than sitting on it. I have harnesses available on board also, though a pukka climbing harness would be a better bet with the legs being through it. Which reminds me... I have a friend who is into climbing, so I can likely borrow a harness from him.

All great food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    stevie69p,

I'm not happy with heights either, but at risk of stating the blooming obvious, take care - one fall like that could easily mean a broken back, I'd want a very safe system with a Plan B safety line - can't you get a friend to help from the deck and be a safety assistant ?
    Agreed, but there is an element of risk in most things. The back up line would be another prussik on separate line as a fall arrester. I sail solo, so expect to be able to manage repairs and maintenance solo also.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    stevie69p,

I'm not happy with heights either, but at risk of stating the blooming obvious, take care - one fall like that could easily mean a broken back, I'd want a very safe system with a Plan B safety line - can't you get a friend to help from the deck and be a safety assistant ?
    +1. You shouldn't being doing this stuff on your own. You need an assistant who can get you down if you have a problem, or call for help. This isn't solo mid-ocean.

1 Lack of death. Always a good thing. Please keep it that way. 😊
    2 No head for heights? Just like me. I’d have paid to have the mast lowered in order that I could check the rigging at ground level. I just prefer it that way…
    3 Halmatic 30. Nice boat. Almost bought one myself a few months ago (but the one we saw needed too much modernisation for the asking price, with old rigging and sails).
    4 The genoa halyard being run through a guide about a foot down is a normal thing to reduce the likelihood of the halyard wrapping around the forestay during furling.
    5 Using the spinnaker halyard? Only you can tell this but I’d recommend you sort them correctly. I’d also recommend Dyneema (or equivalent) for halyards. Expensive but zero stretch. As a Scottish person it may be too painful for your wallet… 😊
    6 Easing the halyard made furling easier? It shouldn’t make much difference. Maybe it’s time for an overhaul of the bearings in your genoa furling system.
    7 Double decker lamps are usually a bayonet fit and can be done by hand.
    8 Which bosuns chair? See my note about getting the mast lowered…
    9 Enjoy your new boat.

There's a huge amount of sense in what LangstoneLayabout says - with a slightly old but new to you boat, it would save a lot of grief to have that mast down horizontal so you could replace lights, fit new ones and maybe other kit, and above all give the rig a really good ' coat of looking at ' as my aircraft inspector friend used to say.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Bosuns chair is inherently unsafe. Wear a climbing harness and use climbing ascenders. Far safer.

I have never regretted the fitting of mast steps.

I also went up with chair, and 2 blocks (2:1). I used 2 prusik knots , starting from chair, one at the moving line which came via blocks, and the second at a tightened external halyard . Felt safe but it was tough and slow to pull down the knots for getting back.

i have 2 external halyards that go from aft to bow with 4 sheaves at masthead . 2 starboard and 2 portside. I would like to use them to make 4 internal halyarsd instead!
    Do it yourself and do it good!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast