Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best AF for the Solent ??

If youíre back to the gel and the hull moisture levels are dry enough, I would apply a few epoxy coats , gel shield, then I find Hemphill Tiger extra is a good antifoul. Itís cheaper than international micron and I find better. I apply it on most of my customers boats on the Solent and my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
    If you’re back to the gel and the hull moisture levels are dry enough, I would apply a few epoxy coats , gel shield, then I find Hemphill Tiger extra is a good antifoul. It’s cheaper than international micron and I find better. I apply it on most of my customers boats on the Solent and my own.
    Agree with the gel shield if you don’t go Coppercoat. Or even if you do - with caution about solvent entrapment.
    When I had my boat business, hempel was my favourite conventional antifoul too. Worked well, and covered well, easy to apply. But they are all getting weaker and worse except Coppercoat which has been unchanged for 20 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
    If you’re back to the gel and the hull moisture levels are dry enough, I would apply a few epoxy coats , gel shield, then I find Hemphill Tiger extra is a good antifoul. It’s cheaper than international micron and I find better. I apply it on most of my customers boats on the Solent and my own.
    I switched to Hempel Tiger in March and have been very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavey View Post
    I switched to Hempel Tiger in March and have been very impressed.
    If I was antifouling a newly stripped hull I would choose a self eroding one to avoid future build up.

For many years I used Micron Extra with good results, but when International switched to Micron 350 two years ago and upped the price by 50%, I changed to Seajet Shogun 033. The performance has also been good, (it won the PBO test), very similar to the old Micron in fact. Reports on the new Micron 350, that I have seen, have not been very complementary.

The boat is in Haslar Marina and I would say gets moderate use.

Quote Originally Posted by NDB View Post
    I understand that CC is a good product but, Iíve heard sketchy reports about it . Iím not a fan of the green colour it turns either !
    Is that because the boat is on the hard standing most of the year. I took the plunge and had coppercoat on our boat and three season on its been fantastic. Boat is always in the water so we don't see the bottom colour. Coppercoat any day for the saving in time and work.

Five years in with coppercoat, happy customer. It was applied professionally by Osmotech.

When I had my antifouling stripped back I too looked into coppercoat and like you found mixed reviews and expensive, but that was over 10 years ago when at the time many companies were offering their version of coppercoat.

In the end I applied epoxy (think it was 5 coats) and then semi eroding antifouling. I have been applying premier one for many years and based in the solent, works well for me, just usually a bit of slime on liftout, and is nicely primed at the end of season for a new coat. However the paint has gone up this year so may consider something else, but still cheaper than most brands. I wouldn't apply a hard antifouling once you have stripped back, semi eroding much better in my experience.
    https://premiermarinepaints.co.uk/an...ifouling-paint

Thank you all for your answers, Iíve opted for Hemple tiger extra !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12