Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Chart and plotter whinge

Have plotter with Navionics UK and Ireland pack up to date; also carry Imray paper packs for Solent, Kent and Sussex and Thames estuary. What could go wrong?

Hah! Off Eastbourne on passage to Harwich we sailed off the chart onto a blank map so far as the plotter was concerned. Don’t know what happened there, but coverage restarted at Lowestoft. Fat lot of use.

No problem - we’ll use the paper charts...

Guess what Imray choose to leave off their pack of charts - the Long Sand Head!

Problem solved by updating the Navionics pack on my iPhone as we were in cell range passing Dover. £34.99 for information I has already paid much more for on the plotter.

And what cretins stop their coverage of the Thames Estuary just short of Long Sand Head?

Seriously p....d off with Navionics and with Imray.
    Last edited by Kukri; 30-09-19 at 11:04.

Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

Think yourself lucky, bloke I knew was on his WTW trip and hit a reef on autopilot. Not that the reef was unknown, quite the opposite, but his chartplotter was missing a page..
    Some sort of arrangement was come to

Stop complaining

We have charts, of Tasmania with big white patches, which we cross, where it says 'Not Surveyed'.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Stop complaining

We have charts, of Tasmania with big white patches, which we cross, where it says 'Not Surveyed'.

Jonathan
    Yes, and the bits that have been surveyed were probably done by the RN in the year dot. You're not unique though, parts of the West Coast are "Unsurveyed" as well. "Here be Dragons"

Lots of the West Coast was surveyed in the 1850s, notably by Captain Henry Otter of HMS Porcupine, steam and sail. Considering that these were lead line surveys done by sailors in rowing boats, they have mostly been pretty good. There have lately been a few cases of "new" rocks being found, mainly by the new, and bigger generation of fish farm work boats, finding them the "hard" way.
    Last edited by NormanS; 30-09-19 at 14:09.

My plotter came with a 'silver' version of a Navionics chart covering a wide area. I could sail from Iceland to Pord Said if I wished, with reasonable detail, though it hasn't been and can't be updated.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Problem solved by updating the Navionics pack on my iPhone as we were in cell range passing Dover. £34.99 for information I has already paid much more for on the plotter.

Seriously p....d off with Navionics and with Imray.
    I could point you to a hooky copy of CM93 for nothing, then you would have world coverage
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Passage plans don't seem as popular as they once were, (me too ) but good idea for electronic as it flags up things like that before leaving. Opencpn is good for that, have a good look on tablet/laptop anywhere then scribble the way points onto the bit of paper and transfer over to plotter/gps if it supports it. .

gablet ...

Since Milady mostly uses ours for watching stuff and communicating with our offspring via Whatsup, etc, that's a very apposite name for it
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Phoned Force 4 from whom I bought it to say that I had tried it in another Raymarine plotter with the same results so it's the card. They asked me to send it to them.

Open CPN works worldwide, might be a tad out of date, but much better than a blank page

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast